Review: On’s Thai Kitchen: Over 100 dishes, all great choices

On’s Thai Kitchen has over 100 dishes, all of which are great take-out options. From left: Sweet and Sour Tofu and Chicken Pad Thai. *Photos by Joe Klein ’16.*
On’s Thai Kitchen has over 100 dishes, all of which are great take-out options. From left: Sweet and Sour Tofu and Chicken Pad Thai. Photos by Joe Klein ’16.

With all the great restaurant options on Grand Avenue, it’s tempting to stay in the safe, cozy Mac bubble and not venture off campus often to eat. I get the feeling completely; it’s getting colder outside, it’s getting darker earlier, and taking the bus anywhere requires time and patience.

But, for a restaurant like On’s Thai Kitchen, it’s worth the journey. I have nothing against Pad Thai on Grand — it’s a great restaurant, and it’s so conveniently close by. But if you’re looking for high-quality, authentic, affordable Thai food, you really can’t go wrong with On’s. On’s is owned by On Khumchaya, and rarely does a meal leave the kitchen without her seal of approval. The restaurant is only a few years old, but On has been cooking Thai food for years at restaurants around the Twin Cities. When you walk inside, you’ll see the kitchen right there on your left. Be ready to be overwhelmed — in a good way — with the smells and sounds of Thai food cooking right when you walk in.

And don’t be intimidated by the over 100 options on On’s menu. There’s bound to be a meal that caters to what you like. Besides the tried and true meals — Pad Thai, different chicken dishes and noodle soups, there are plenty of different options to try. If you’re willing to shell out a couple of bucks, On’s Special Dishes menu has options like fish filets, Pad Eggplant and Crispy Shrimp.

FD_WEB_On's_JoeKlein16When I went, I was feeling safe and cautious, so I stuck to two options — the Pad Thai with chicken (#66) and the Sweet and Sour with tofu (#74). Both were delicious. The Pad Thai was a perfect mix of flavors, with the peanut flavor especially coming through and complementing the rest of the dish. The noodles were perfectly balanced, full of flavor but not too heavy that they’ll sit in your stomach afterwards.

They are on a bit of the spicy side, though. I ordered medium spiciness with the Pad Thai, and it was spicier than I expected it to be. Both meals came with heaps of rice, and the portions are more than generous. You’re bound to have leftovers which may last over many meals.

My one complaint, which isn’t so severe that it’s a dealbreaker, was with the service. While it wasn’t bad, I did have to wait for some time before placing my takeout order because nobody working acknowledged me or asked to help me, even though they took orders from people that came in after me. The wait was a bit long for food, but that’s to be expected and is completely valid since it’s a busy restaurant with a small kitchen. The restaurant gets busy (both for dine-in and carry-out), and I had to wait 45 minutes for a takeout order. So if you’re getting takeout, definitely call ahead before bussing to pick your order up. And either way, it’s well worth the wait.

On’s is very easy to get to. It’s at 1613 University Avenue, not even a block west of Snelling and University. Take the 84 north, and get off at University. It’s on the north side of the street, in a small, one-story storefront that you could easily drive by and never even notice. If you are driving, there’s a small lot next to the restaurant, but it fills up quickly and nearby businesses are known to tow when you park in their spots.

On’s Thai Kitchen
1613 University Ave
(651) 644-1444
Mon-Sat 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
www.onskitchen.com
Accessible by the 84 bus.