Dear Kim

Greetings,

I just wanted to get in touch with you after I received your email this morning regarding Jennie Charlesworth. I just want to offer you some of my opinions about Jennie. As a coach, Jennie has done incredible things for the Men’s and Women’s Water Polo team, and the Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving team.

Inside of the pool Jennie has always been a great coach. She always provides valuable advice. Unlike other coaches, Jennie would get in the pool with us to show us what to do/to work on.

Outside of the pool, Jennie coordinates flights for the swim team training trip and prospective students visiting schedule and staying arrangement. Jennie also prepares countless meals and snacks for the team when we have away games/meets. This is felt especially by Men’s Water Polo since we are a club sport and don’t have a large budget. Jennie would even spend her own money to buy nutritious meals for us before and after games. For Club Polo, she also sacrifices her weekends to drive us down to Iowa every year and coordinate where we are staying and what we are having for meals.

She is also the key coordinator for the Water Polo Masters program here in Saint Paul. Many Mac alums, Mac faculty and residents in Mac-Groveland neighborhood have the privilege to play/learn water polo on weekends because Jennie is willing to take the time and responsibility to be the coach and coordinator for the Master program.

In addition, the CWPA (Collegiate Water Polo Association) National Championship is happening next weekend here at Macalester and we absolutely need Jennie to coach and direct us in the pool.

Jennie is essential and critical for the Macalester Aquatic program. I personally know a lot of people would not have stayed in the Aquatics program if it wasn’t for Jennie. She volunteers her time to coach the Men’s Water Polo team and often checks in with us outside of pool because she cares about our personal/mental well being. Jennie holds the Aquatics program together in ways we don’t even realize.

There was a period of time that I was going to transfer or drop out of college. Jennie is one of the biggest reasons why I still go to Macalester. Since lots of my mental therapy times were conflicting with Swim and Polo practices, Jennie was willing to hold separate practice and individual meetings with me. She is very understanding and supportive. I am really impressed of how compassionate Jennie is and how much she cares about people around her.

I feel someone like Jennie is hard to find. Someone who is so dedicated and passionate about her job and genuinely cares about people around her. Right now is the time we absolutely need Jennie’s expertise and guidance. It would a great loss not only for Macalester Aquatics programs but also a great lost for Macalester community.

Regards, An Anonymous Student

TMW will only run an anonymous op-eds when an article may impact a student’s safety or mental health. These exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis by the Managing Editors.