Frittatas: a versatile, easy dish for every meal

*Photo by Errol Phalo '17*
Photo by Errol Phalo ’17

With frittatas you can literally mix anything up. I’ve had this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Feel free to make this recipe vegetarian! If you don’t have kale, spinach or Swiss chard work fine too. You can freeze leftovers and reheat them in a microwave or bake again at 350 degrees until heated through.

Ingredients

• 5 large whole eggs
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 2 tbsp. of grated pecorino romano cheese (substitute any cheese you want)
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 tsps. olive oil
  • 6 oz. chicken or turkey sausage, casings removed
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 medium peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (diced into 1/2 inch pieces)
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 cup chopped kale, stems and ribs removed

Directions

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Crack the eggs and egg whites into a large bowl. Add cheese, salt, and pepper and beat until blended. Set aside.
  • Heat a 10-inch nonstick oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of oil, meat, and onions to the pan and cook. Break up meat with a wooden spoon until meat is cooked through and onions are golden, for about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer sausage and onions to a plate.
  • Add remaining oil and then add the potatoes. Season with garlic powder, paprika and pepper. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes before adding the kale. Cook until wilted for about 2 to 3 minutes.
  • Add the cooked sausage and onions to the skillet and stir. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Reduce heat to low and cook until the edges are set, for about 6 to 8 minutes.
  • Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the frittata is completely set and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, place a plate over the pan, and the turn the frittata onto the plate. Cut into wedges and serve.