Café Kos with Dubie: The Monte Carlo – Cocktails and wings that simply don’t compare

The Monte Carlo is known for cocktails (above and left) and baskets of chicken wings. *Photo by Dubie Toa-Kwapong ’16.
On Saturday, my friend Pharez came to visit from Iowa. It had been a while since we’d last seen each other, so the day was spent chatting, catching up, and watching Modern Family at my sister’s place in Minneapolis. Before we knew it, dinner time had snuck up on us. Feeling too lazy to cook, we decided to go out to grab a bite. But where? Two things we knew for certain: we wanted a place with a great atmosphere, and we were ravenous. My sister and her roommate mentioned that they had gone to this restaurant a couple of days prior with the most incredible wings. They were already hankering to go back. No further words were needed; we hopped in the car and were on our way to the Warehouse District.

As we drove up, I saw between two flaming torches, The Monte Carlo. Between the swanky name and the warm glow of the torches, I knew I was going to like this restaurant. Inside, we were seated by a waitress in an old-school black-dress-and-white apron combination. The champagne-coloured wallpaper embellished with swirls of royal blue flowers, and low-hanging bronze chandeliers tied together the vintage theme without feeling overdone.

Pharez ordered a crème de menthe-flavoured ice cream cocktail, which he sipped gleefully between accolades of how delicious it was (and he does not compliment lightly). We ordered two baskets of wings, the dish for which The Monte Carlo is best known, to share. I’m not even going to try to describe the scrumptiousness those wings unleashed on my taste buds. My words just won’t do them justice. We left feeling happy, full, and excited for our next visit. I exhort you, meat-eaters of Mac; grab some friends and make the trek to 219 3rd Avenue North. You won’t regret it.

The Monte Carlo
where: 219 3rd Ave. N, Minneapolis
travel: Green Line westbound to Target Field. Walk back to 3rd Ave. N, make a left, and walk three blocks to Washington Ave.
hours: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Monday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Sunday.