Contribute! Frequently Asked Questions on the Senior Class Gift

Seniors, we don’t need to remind you that May is just around the corner. Although many of us are grappling with the future, this also a time to reflect on our experiences at Macalester. Generations of seniors have turned their desire to support this community into a tradition that continues to this day. Here’s everything you need to know about our Senior Class Gift.

Q: What is the Senior Class Gift?

A: The Senior Class Gift (SCG) has evolved into a tradition that allows seniors to give back to the Macalester community before their graduation. Although it has taken many forms over the years, contributions on behalf of the Class of 2015 will go to the Annual Fund. This resource supports faculty and staff salaries, financial aid, campus programming and day-to-day operations.

Q: I already pay tuition, have student loans, and/or don’t receive enough financial aid. Why should I contribute?

A: The Annual Fund saves students and their families money. The actual cost of educating a Macalester student is $16,000 more than the price of full tuition for one year. Donations fill in this gap. Therefore, all students, including those who pay full tuition, receive substantial support from donors. Your gift will help make Mac more affordable for current and future students.

Q: Is the Surly Brewing Company tour still happening? If so, how can I get an invitation?

A: Yes! We’re heading to the brewery on April 23rd. If you make a gift by April 15th, you’ll receive an invitation.

Q: Aside from the trip to Surly, is there anything I’ll get by making a contribution?

A: Yes! For every $5 you donate to the SCG, you can honor one professor, staff member or fellow senior. That means you can recognize three people if you give our suggested contribution of $15! Donor Relations will send your honoree an email to let them know about the gift, and their name will appear in the Daily Piper as well as the Commencement Schedule. Also, President Rosenberg will match all gifts contributed by seniors (up to $1,000!) between March 30th and April 20th.

Q: What’s your fundraising goal?

A: Instead of focusing on a dollar amount, we care more about the percentage of seniors who decide to contribute to the SCG. A large percentage of students give a recommended minimum gift of 5 dollars. If we reach our 65 percent class participation goal, we’ll set an all-time record!

Q: Can we give the school a physical gift instead? I’d like to see a new jukebox in Café Mac.

A: Although we’re sympathetic to your cause, contributions to the Annual Fund ensure that students, faculty and staff members can continue to access and sustain this community. A sundial, archway or jukebox can’t do that. If you have your heart set on buying a tangible object, we encourage you to seek out alternative sources of funding.

Q: Where can I donate?

A: You can donate online at macalester.edu/giving or make a cash donation at one of our events. Join us for Senior Trivia Night tomorrow, April 11th at 8 p.m. in Smail Gallery! You’ll have a chance to win a $100 gift card to The Blue Door.

To stay up to date on the SCG campaign, like our Facebook page at facebook.com/macseniorgift2015.