Election Guide 2015: Candidates for Vice President

For our annual election guide, The Mac Weekly distributed questions to MCSG candidates. We’ve printed the responses below unedited to allow the candidates’ voices to speak freely. We hope that these responses are informative and helpful as you go about making your decisions on who to vote for this year. We have chosen not to endorse candidates this year.

Photo Courtesy of Seth Loeffler-Kemp '17
Photo Courtesy of Seth Loeffler-Kemp ’17
Seth Loeffler-Kemp ’17

1. Why are you running for this position?
I have seen the passion from students around campus issues this year that has truly impressed me. As a current member of the Student Services and Relations Committee (SSRC) of MCSG, I have helped start the dialogue on changes to policy and processes on campus around mental health and sexual assault. I believe that I can help set a strong agenda for MCSG next year as part of the Executive Board and that my experience and student-centered goals can help make MCSG more effective and efficient.

2. What experience do you bring to this position, and what do you think you could contribute to MCSG and the Macalester community if elected?
I have served as a class representative in the SSRC this year and have a unique understanding of the role of Vice President because they are the also Chair of that committee. I have been continually impressed with the effectiveness of this committee and its current leadership. I know that I can lead the SSRC effectively and efficiently. The Vice President is on the Executive Board as well and plays a role in setting the agenda for the year. I would ensure that this agenda reflects the whole student body and is composed of tangible, impactful goals.

3. What goals do you hope to achieve if elected?
As a current member of the SSRC, I have seen the conversations start around mental health and sexual assault on campus. I want to make sure that these conversations don’t end this year, but instead that we take concrete steps in continuing to work on them. I’m excited for the start of the internship funding program and I want to further support this effort and work with the Internship office to expand the program after it’s trial year. I’m also currently working on a bill for increased transparency and accountability with MCSG and the student body. I believe that MCSG provides a place for constructive debate and I want to ensure that MCSG is approachable to all students.

4. What is your leadership style?
Collaboration and Vision. I believe it’s crucial to include all voices and interests when discussing an issue and I have seen this past year that it takes many people to create a successful event or create successful change. I want to make sure that they feel fully supported in their purpose and have the available resources whether they are on org putting on an event or students coming the SSRC with a Community Chest request. Like I mentioned earlier, I have worked closely with the current Vice President and have a strong understanding of the role.

5. Is there anything you would change about MCSG? If so, how would you go about it? Representation. I think there is a current lack of diverse identities in MCSG and that certain voices are heard more than others. These voices are important because they shape the agenda and the discussion. MCSG can feel intimidating to students whose identities are not represented on it and I want to make sure MSCG is more accessible to all students. As a member of the queer community at Macalester, I would love to see more representation from traditionally underrepresented groups on MSCG and ensure that there are multiple voices heard at the table.

Photo Courtesy of Diego Tamayo '18
Photo Courtesy of Diego Tamayo ’18
Diego Tamayo ’18

I believe that we should always strive to be better and better. I like Revolution. In fact, I think that in MCSG, as in Macalester and in the world, we should measure our work in terms of our potential to be better, instead of only comparing it to the past. I am running for Vice President/ President of SSRC because I think this position fits my leadership characteristics and also my experience at Mac.

I chose the Vice President position because I think it should play a role that supports the President but also serves every member of MCSG to discover their own potential. I chose the SSRC (Student Services and Relations Committee) because I worked on it this year and realized that this committee is quite new but has a great potential to support students about issues such as Sexual Assault, Mental Health and Transparency in decision making.

2. What experience do you bring to this position, and what do you think you could contribute to MCSG and the Macalester community if elected? I have been elected student representative in different situations in my life. I was president of the Political Science Department of the State University (UMSA) in Bolivia and I was a Residential Representative in the Student Council of UWC Red Cross Nordic in Norway. With this experience I can contribute knowledge and leadership on how to deal with a diverse community of individuals and organizations. However, at Mac: I have been 1st Year Representative, member of SSRC and Coordinator of Promotions in the IGC (Institute for Global Citizenship). With this experience in Mac I have learned to understand the role of MCSG, the potential of SSRC and the importance of communication and teamwork in a diverse environment.

As Vice President, I am confident that my positive attitude and leadership skills can provide energy and also organization to MCSG, so each member can feel comfortable and committed to make our community a better one. I am running because I think I have experience but also a ‘revolutionary’ creativity to explode the potential of SSRC and improve MCSG.

I want to empower more individual initiatives by promoting more the ways in which students can make their projects have an impact in Mac. I want to improve student inclusivity in our campus. I want to combat bureaucracy in MCSG, by inviting more students and ORGs to work with MCSG. I aim to raise transparency by endorsing active partnership between MCSG and more ORGs, so ORGs can improve the work of MCSG and vice versa. Moreover, I will strive for justice by actively defending the rights of students and ensuring respect and fair treatment for all Mac ORGs equally.

4. What is your leadership style?
I am a revolutionary! I think I can make a difference in MCSG, because I am not only a leader, but also a learner. I think my leadership style is one of service above everything else. I am someone who is not afraid to defend others’ rights and speak his mind, but also someone who is willing to admit his mistakes and take responsibility for his actions. Someone who leads, learns, improves and serves his peers.

5. Is there anything you would change about MCSG? If so, how would you go about it?
As I mentioned I want to raise transparency by establishing more partnerships of MCSG with ORGs and individuals that can contribute to a better solution of the issues of our community. I also want to change the amount of bureaucracy in MCSG by institutionalizing the work of each Year Representatives, so more assemblies and popular participation can be carried out and actually hear the voice of more students on campus.