Swens N’Dobs// And the Academy Award Goes To…

The 87th annual Academy Awards took place on Sunday February 22nd. Here are some thoughts.

Swenson:

1. They said it was going to start at six, but boy, were they wrong.
  2. Why is there no Pixar movie this year? This makes me sad.
  3. Where is J-Law?
  4. I wish they showed clips during the “In Memoriam” like they used to.
  5. How do they order the people during this section?
  6. Patricia Arquette (What a woman and what a speech!)
  7. J.K. Simmons (One of my favorite movie couples of all time is J.K. Simmons and Allison Janney in Juno)
  8. NO BOYHOOD??!!
  9. While I loved Birdman, I feel bad that Linklater didn’t get any recognition for the greatness that is Boyhood.
  10. Lady Gaga, good for you.
  11. The amount of texts that I received during The Sound of Music tribute from my family was quite substantial.
  12. That lasted a LONG time.
  13. Overall, I enjoyed these Academy Awards, but they were definitely not the best. There was a good crop of movies up for awards this year, but it was a little too tame for me. Usually, I am dead set with one option and totally against the other for the top two competing for best picture, but this year I liked both of them.
    14.Who should host the Oscar’s next year:
    Aziz Ansari
    Taylor Swift’s cat, Olivia Benson
    Abby and Ilana from Broad City
    The Minions

Dobscha:

1. Oh, Neil Patrick Harris. I thought I was sick of you, but the opening number was cute. And then you made a bunch of groan-worthy jokes, and I was sick of you all over again.
  2. J.K. Simmons in Whiplash for Best Supporting Actor—I really wish I’d seen this movie before the Oscars! First speech of the night to make me cry.
  3. Adam Levine = :/
  4. “Everything is Awesome” went way too far. [It] felt like a glitter-covered seizure dumped in sprinkles on a stage.
  5. It must be freezing in there! Look at Neil Patrick Harris’ nipples!
  6. Patricia Arquette’s triumph as best supporting actress. Wonderful and well-deserved.
  7. John Travolta, staaahp touching Idina Menzel. She’s had enough already.
  8. Lady Gaga’s tribute to The Sound of Music was the climax of the evening. I thought it couldn’t get any better, and then Julie Andrews herself showed up looking like a queen.
  9. I expected a Best Director win for Iñárritu and Best Picture win for Boyhood, but I wanted it to go the other way around. What happened (Birdman win for both) surprises me. What a wacky movie to win! I feel terrible for Linklater.
    10.Overall, I was really pleased by this year’s Oscar noms. It’s been a while since I loved or wanted to see so many of the nominations. Hosting has only gotten worse over the years, but at least this year’s bizarre Golden Globes pushed the Oscars in a somewhat more socially-conscious direction. Great to hear actresses asked about more than their dresses, and the wonderful comments by John Legend and Common. So many tears…