Nonprofit advocacy orgs speak in support of MPIRG

As leaders of nonprofit advocacy organizations working to make our state a better place for all Minnesotans, we write today in support of the Macalester MPIRG chapter. We all work on a variety of different issues at the Capitol and in communities across the state, but we can all testify to MPIRG’s ability to bring the student voice into vital public policy conversations. MPIRG plays a crucial role in ensuring young people are heard when these decisions are made, as most government actions will affect your generation more than ours.

No matter the outcome of the Macalester referendum, MPIRG will continue to represent students across Minnesota at the state legislature and in coalitions advancing reforms of our state and local governments. If Macalester students vote “no” next week, you will be voting against a seat at the table in these discussions and against your voice being amplified in statewide movements for policy change. Given Macalester’s long-standing reputation as a leader in civic and political engagement, it would be a shame if your voices were diminished in the broader movement for social, environmental and economic justice. Vote yes on MPIRG if you want to build upon four decades of Macalester students working in solidarity with reform and justice-based organizations to create positive change in our communities.

Monica Meyer – Executive Director, Outfront Minnesota

Anthony Newby – Executive Director, Neighborhoods Organizing for Change (NOC)

Jeanne Massey – Executive Director, FairVote Minnesota

Margaret Levin – State Director, Sierra Club Northstar Chapter