On the BEAT: What’s happening around campus and the region

MACALESTER COLLEGE STUDENT GOVERNMENT

MCSG gets familiar, introduces new community org

Friday Oct. 17, from 11 a..m.-2 p.m. MCSG will host a “Cozy up with MCSG” event as a time to socialize and get to know current MCSG members. Fall beverages such as apple cider will be served. The SSRC is planning publicity for the community chest and is targeting its efforts toward mental health awareness on campus. Mac Martial Arts was approved $600 to pay their instructor for the year. MCSG engaged in a long conversation about the border fence moved to the side of the theater building, which was originally supposed to be placed on Old Main Lawn. The Legislative Body wanted to know why it got moved, and wants to use it as an example of how MCSG can help provide clarity and transparency to the student body about large decisions that are made. There was a charter introduction for Mac and Cheese, a student org dedicated to making food, sharing food, food justice and creating community around food.

ST. PAUL

St. Paul man charged with dumping nails down toilets

A criminal complaint filed last week accused Nicholas Mullenmaster, 38, with flushing pounds of nails down toilets at various locations in Eagan. Mullenmaster caused plumbing problems on three occasions at a city transit station and caused a flood at a Starbucks that closed the store for three hours.

His destructive metallic escapades were uncovered when investigators looked at security camera footage from the establishments he visited and damaged. It was observed that he stayed in the bathroom at the transit station for over six hours on one occasion.

Police were summoned to the Starbucks on September 27, but found Mullenmaster at a nearby Leeann Chin, where a manager said he was in the bathroom.

He emerged from the bathroom with suspiciously clinking bags, which contained pounds of nails from Home Depot.

Mullenmaster has a small previous criminal record; a date for his trial has not yet been set.

PROGRAM BOARD

PB hosts haunts and hoots, film screenings

The Program Board is coordinating ticket sales for ValleyScare and Dirty Dancing, which will go on sale Monday, Oct. 13 at the Information Desk in the Campus Center. ValleyScare is a Haunted House at the ValleyFair Amusement Park and Dirty Dancing is a musical adaptation of the movie, which will be showing at the Orpheum Theatre in Minneapolis. Program Board will also be sponsoring a viewing of “Guardians of The Galaxy” next Friday, Oct. 17 at 8 p.m. in the John B. Davis Lecture Hall, located in the basement of the Campus Center. The film has received widespread critical acclaim and features a group of space anti-heroes who must band together to save the entire universe.

MINNEAPOLIS

Minneapolis agrees to lower carbon emissions

Environmental activists who pushed last year for the city of Minneapolis to cut ties with Xcel Energy and create a municipal energy utility company did not win that battle, but a new agreement between the city, Xcel, and Centerpoint Energy will contribute to the reduction of Minneapolis’ carbon footprint.

The two energy companies, which have just signed a new, 10-year franchise deal with Minneapolis, have pledged to make plans to work with the city to meet its goals of a 30 percent reduction of emissions by 2025 and 80 percent reduction by 2050 (from 2006 levels).

A private-public board with representatives from all three entities will look at initiatives, from a community solar garden program and installing LED streetlights, to starting a renewable energy program for high-occupancy dwellings.

The new agreement is half as long as the previous 20-year commitment, which would make it easier for Minneapolis to break with Xcel and Centerpoint in the future if dissatisfied with the progress made on greenhouse gas reduction. However, the agreement does include two optional five-year extensions, which could render the shorter contract moot.

DEPARTMENT OF MULTICULTURAL LIFE

GSRC, QU celebrate National Coming Out Day, events

Today, Macalester will be celebrating National Coming Out Day. Macalester Pride T-shirts will be distributed on campus, and students can pick up buttons and stickers in Kagin Commons. From 4:30 to 6 p.m., the GSRC will be holding a Tea and Topics discussion, “Families and Coming Out,” in Kagin 108.

Tomorrow at 8 p.m. in the Hill Ballroom, Queer Union (QU) will be sponsoring the appearance of stand-up comedian Janine Brito as part of the campus-wide celebration of National Coming Out Day.

On Tuesday, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., An(other) Story Circle will be focusing on “Living a Socially Just Life After Macalester.” Alumni will be at this event in the Cultural House to share their stories of continuing social justice outside of the Mac bubble. There will also be an “In the Kitchen With . . .” event with QU in the Cultural House kitchen from 6 to 8 p.m.

Also on Tuesday, from 7 to 9 p.m., as part of Reproductive Justice Week, Mac Activists for Reproductive Justice and PIPE will be holding a screening of the documentary Young Lakota in John B. Davis Lecture Hall. The next Reproductive Justice Week event will be a performance by Colored Girls Hustle on Thursday, Oct. 16, at 7 p.m. in Kagin Commons.

HEALTH AND WELLNESS

Next What the Health event, Consent is Mac joins Tumblr

Consent is Mac now has a Tumblr! Go to consentismac.tumblr.com for information and updates on events and consent culture. This week’s Wellness Wednesday is an open invitation for students to come take a study break before midterms. Stop by the Wellness Lounge to eat snacks and relax! On Wednesday, there will be a What the Health event at 4 p.m. in the Leonard Center Atrium. Students are invited to drop by the Wellness Lounge from 7 to 10 p.m. on Monday through Thursday nights to eat snacks, relax and pick up resources relating to sexual health, nutrition, LGBTQ, body image and more.