On the BEAT: What’s happening around campus and the region

HEALTH AND WELLNESS

Wellness 5k taking signups, “Pour a Shot” on Thursday

A number of Health and Wellness events are taking place this week, including a group run to the Mississippi River and back on Sunday starting at 3 p.m. The group will meet outside of Dupre on Summit Avenue. For those looking for more running fun, there is still time to sign up for the Wellness 5k Walk/Run. The 5k will take place on Oct. 11, and those participating will receive a breakfast, free T-shirt and the chance to win prizes. Participation is free for students and $10 for all others.

This week’s Wellness Wednesday is titled “Treat Yourself.” The discussion will focus on getting through midterms and making the most of your sleep. Wellness Wednesdays take place in the Wellness Lounge of the Leonard Center at noon. On Thursday, Oct. 2, there will be “Pour a Shot” event outside of the Campus Center from 11:30 to 1 p.m. The event is sponsored by the Stop@Buzzed campaign. There will also be a What the Health event at the Leonard Center on Thursday, Oct. 4 at 4 p.m.

PROGRAM BOARD

Movie themed bingo tonight, Poetry Slam tomorrow

Program Board’s schedule for the next week includes Movie Themed Bingo tonight at the Loch from 10 to 11 p.m. Saturday night is also full of fun events, with a screening of Maleficent happening at 10:30 p.m. and a Mac Slams poetry reading, which will feature Mo Brown. The Slam will take place at 10k in the basement of Dupre and will run from 8 to 10 p.m. Look out next week for a screening of the documentary Besa in JBD on Tuesday, Sept. 30, starting at 6:30 p.m. Keep your eyes out for more events coming your way in Oct., including Apple Picking and a Petting Zoo!

NEIGHBORHOOD

St. Thomas student injured during attempted robbery

A student at the University of St. Thomas was attacked during an attempted robbery last weekend. The student, who was walking near the intersection of Summit and Cleveland Avenues, said two men approached him and demanded his wallet. After cutting his arm with a knife, they demanded his cell phone. He refused and was knifed once more and punched in the face. Although the robbers were not able to take anything from the victim, he needed medical treatment from campus security and was taken to a hospital.

ST. PAUL

Transit study under way in Riverview Corridor

The Riverview Corridor, which runs along West 7th Street from downtown St. Paul to the airport and the Mall of America, will be given a fresh look. On the heels of the long-awaited completion of the Green Line, the Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority is orchestrating a $1.45 million feasibility study of possible routes and modes of transit for the corridor. Potential modes include light rail, streetcars and buses. A 2000 study showed that a high-speed busway was the best option for the corridor, but the Minnesota Legislature killed the $44 million measure to make up a budget shortfall.

There are multiple routes being considered beyond West 7th, including Shepard Road, Interstate 35E, and the current Canadian Pacific Railway line.

Citizens and other policymakers have expressed concern, stating that the current Metro Transit bus line is adequate. More recently, the Met Council planned to make West 7th home to the region’s second bus rapid transit (BRT) line, but voted to put those plans on hold until the Riverview Corridor study is complete. The first BRT line will operate along Snelling Avenue, and construction will begin later this year.

DEPARTMENT OF MULTICULTURAL LIFE

Xpressions program starting, MacSlams meeting Tuesday

On Saturday, the Women of Color Identity Collective will be meeting from 2 to 5 p.m. at the Cultural House. Old and new members are welcome.

A MacSlams meeting will be held on Tuesday at 4:30 in the Cultural House. “In the Kitchen With . . .” will meet, as usual, in the Cultural House kitchen from 6 to 8 p.m. On Wednesday, Queer Union will meet at 10:15 p.m. in the Doty basement lounge. FIA*STARSA will meet Thursdays in Kagin 018 from 10 to 11 p.m.

Additionally, the DML Xpressions program is accepting artwork until Oct. 6 for a display on the theme of self-expression. The display will appear on campus the week of Oct. 13. Questions and artwork can be submitted to Errol Phalo ([email protected]).

ELECTION 2014

Republic Party faces gender gap in Minnesota

A recent Star Tribune poll found that gender is the second-most predictive factor in determining the way how one will vote in Minnesota. Mark Dayton, the current Democratic governor of Minnesota, is leading his Republican challenger Jeff Johnson among women voters 54 to 25 percent. Johnson held a 43 to 34 percent lead with men voters, however.

In the Minnesota Senate race, almost 60 percent of likely women voters would choose current Democratic Sen. Al Franken over his GOP opponent, Mike McFadden.

The poll also showed most women believe that Minnesota’s economy is stronger than it was four years ago, trust Democrats to deal with economic matters, and approve of Barack Obama’s job as president.

MCSG

Two new orgs proposed, four old ones unchartered

During the Sept. 22 MCSG Legislative Body (LB) meeting, four student orgs (Mac Jump and Jive, KAADAAT [Kids All About Dancing All the Time], FACE AIDS and SERC [Student Endowment Responsibility Committee]) were unanimously voted to be unchartered after no students showed interest in taking over leadership.

Class representative Konnor Fleming ’15 became Speaker of the Body after an LB election. In this new position, Fleming will keep the meetings on track according to the agenda, and in the chance of a tie vote of the executive board, his vote will count as the tiebreaker.
Two organization charters were introduced for Jewish Legacy of Social Action and Macalester Musical Theater Group. The charter for Jewish Legacy of Social Action will be voted on next week.

The Academic Affairs Committee released its new exit strategy plan for outdated books in the textbook reserve program. The books will now be donated to Better World Books, an organization that sells books and then distributes the proceeds to NGOs.

Class representative Rick Beckel ’15 also proposed a plan for MCSG to purchase compostable dishware in bulk that could then be sold to orgs needing paperware for an event. As part of this project, MCSG would deny requests from orgs that ask for money to purchase non-compostable dishware and would instead refer them to purchasing compostable dishware from a stock MCSG had on hand. This project helps MCSG keep in line with Macalester’s institutional goal to be zero waste by 2020.