Festival Palomino Preview

Next Saturday, the band, Trampled by Turtles will headline the first annual Festival Palomino at Canterbury Park in Shakopee. Natives of Duluth, Minnesota, Trampled by Turtles are a five-piece folk rock group with seven studio albums, one of which is Palomino—the inspiration behind the title of the festival. The inaugural event has a lineup including eight other music groups of similar genres. The most well known of the lineup, The Head and The Heart are headlining along with Trampled by Turtles. Other acts include Low, Charles Bradley and His Extraordinaires, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Spirit Family Reunion, Field Report, The Apache Relay and Erik Koskinen.

Low, also from Duluth, is an indie rock band that has toured with Radiohead and has signed with the well known indie label, Sub Pop, in 2004. Notice the Duluth connection with Trampled by Turtles? The first annual Festival Palomino is spurring local excitement because it’s bringing together some of Minnesota’s brightest young musicians with acts from around the country. The Festival is sponsored by the local Twin Cities alternative radio station, The Current.

Even though The Head and The Heart might be the best-known group playing at Festival Palomino, the event is entirely a Trampled by Turtles showcase. The best part for Duluthians and Trampled by Turtles enthusiasts alike is that the lineup was pieced together by none other than the members of the aforementioned group: Dave Simonett, Tim Saxhaug, Dave Carroll, Erik Berry, and Ryan Young. The band members produced a lineup full of some of their preferred artists. Frontrunner, Dave Simonett, referring to the festival, said, “As a band, Trampled by Turtles always envisioned creating a Minnesota festival featuring the music of some of our favorite musicians.”

An all ages event, tickets to Festival Palomino are $34, with free admit for children under the age of ten. Canterbury Park will have two stages, spreading the performances equally between the two venues. There will be food trucks aplenty and a craft beer garden for all of you of-age drinkers. Gates to the Park open at one, with the first of nine performances kicking off at two. The Head and The Heart and Trampled by Turtles don’t go on until later in the evening, so come early and hear for yourself why the headliners chose the musicians they did.