J.K. Rowling needs to let go of the Harry Potter series

It has been seven years since the last book of the world phenomenon, the Harry Potter series—Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—was published; however, it seems as though J.K. Rowling, the author, cannot let the series go from her life.

On February 7, J.K. Rowling was interviewed for Wonderland Magazine by Emma Watson, who played Hermione Granger in the film. She mentioned that Harry Potter (who ended up with Ginny Weasley) and Hermione Granger (who ended up with Ron Weasley) would have been a better fit together. Just as expected, the interview outraged some fans, called “shippers,” who support the already written couples and considered Rowling’s comments heretical. Unsurprisingly, after a week, on Thursday, February 13 at Exeter College’s “Morality and Mortality” talk, J. K. Rowling once again created an issue by saying that she originally planned to name the main character Harry Batt, instead of Harry Potter. In addition to this, the author, over the years has been revealing many side-plots that she had, such as the fact that Hogwarts Headmaster Dumbledore was gay and in love with Grindelwald.

No one can speak against the accomplishments that Rowling created by writing the Harry Potter series. Unsurprisingly, the series—both the books and films—have several records in book sales and the box office and received good reviews. The magic Rowling created enchanted millions of people around the world, and when she claimed that she will not be writing any more sequels of the Harry Potter series or in the fantasy genre, many fans were sad, as they felt as they could not be unenchanted from Harry Potter’s magical world. However, it is Rowling herself who is not able to disenchant herself from the magical spells.

The last book was published in 2007, and the last film was released in 2011, but Rowling seems to have more secrets to reveal regarding the series. Considering the fact that her other two books (The Casual Vacancy and The Cuckoo’s Calling) were not very successful, Rowling’s purpose of mentioning these scandalous secrets has become apparent: she needs constant attention. It is true that as a writer and a creator, she has right to speak about her opinions about her books; however, such action is not necessary. Rowling’s continuous, scandalous interviews only bring outraged fans and comments on social network communities such as Facebook and Twitter, but do not influence the series at all. If such details and originally thought plots were that important, important enough to reveal them years later, she should have written the series including such plots. J. K. Rowling’s statements seem to express her willingness to be known as the author of the Harry Potter series, not simply as J. K. Rowling herself.

I, myself, am a huge fan of the epic series. I loved the series so much that I named myself after my favorite character, Ginny Weasley. However, like many fans, I love the novel itself. The novel was an epic phenom and a magical spell for my childhood and generation, and it was successful because of the original written plot that had been read by numerous people. The Harry Potter series was indeed an epic and a phenomenon. And without any doubt, J. K. Rowling is a great author. Nonetheless, Harry Potter will not be her entire life and her writing career; Rowling needs to let the series go and continue her life as a writer.