Blast from the Past: September 21, 1939

Welcome, Frosh

By means of this “get acquainted with Macalester” issue of The Mac Weekly we wish to extend a hearty welcome to each member of the Class of 1943. We hope that your induction into every phase of campus life and activity will be complete and pleasant.

You need have no hesitation as to getting into the swim of college interests right away, since upperclassmen and faculty alike are anxious to be your friends and help you grow from a high school senior to a college freshman. Macalester, with its traditions for promoting mental, spiritual, social and physical development against a background of Christian fellowship, has something to contribute to every Macite–and every one of you in turn can make a definite contribution to your alma mater. The record you make here during the next four years can prove to be either a barrier or boon to your entire future.

College trained persons are looked up to as the eventual leaders of their own communities. To develop the right kind of leaders, then, our campus must exemplify the right kind of a community spirit based on the practice of Christian democracy. This means that every member of the Macalester community must become acquainted with the entire college group–rather than restricting his interests to those of any minority or clique.

Your green caps on green ribbons are not to be regarded as marks of inferiority, but in reality they are identification tags so that the rest of us can know just who you of the Class of ‘43 are. You new students likewise will be able to decide if we upperclassmen are really living the Mac spirit by the extent to which we offer our friendship, guidance and aid to you not only during these first days of fall semester, but all through the college year.

After this first week of college draws to a close frosh have found it very largely a matter of receptions, mixers, camps and other social events, planned in their honor.
We hope that, through these social affairs, frosh have already made many new friends, not only among their own classmates, but among the faculty and upperclassmen. This is one of the most worthwhile values of a small liberal arts college.

However, judging from the excellent high school record of this class of ‘43 we know that frosh have already sensed the more serious side of college. Attending college is one of the most serious businesses in the life of an individual.
From the time of enrollment each prospective graduate is a “marked” man. In the four years to come a personal record of every student will be filed. It will consist of grades, aptitude tests, health reports, extra-curricular activities and all other facts which may be of interest to employers.

Whether that record will be a guide or a barrier in the path of success is up to each individual. We’ll wager this frosh class is ready and able to accept the challenge. So here’s wishing the frosh and best of luck!

This article was a editorial.