UPCOMING EVENTS

Performance Art/Comedy

Delirious Delhi book reading

Friday, Sept. 20 7:00 p.m.
Magers & Quinn Booksellers Minneapolis, MN
Dave Prager reads from his comical book “Delirious Delhi,” about working and living in India’s capital. Minneapolis musician Jeremy Messersmith will complement the act by interviewing Dave, with assuredly hilarious results.
FREE

ComedySportz TC: Featuring Derek Mears

Thursday, Sept. 26 8:00 p.m.
Comedy Sportz Minneapolis, MN
You may have seen ComedySportz in their performances at Macalester—now see them with new guest performer, actor and stuntman Derek Mears (Friday the 13th; Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters; ComedySportz Los Angeles). Said Mears to Pioneer Press, when asked about his stint in the Cities: “Prepare to have your laughing parts beat up with comedy.”
$12 students

Screen & Be Scene — The DL Chronicles Season 1 & 2 Red Carpet Event

Wednesday, Sept. 25 6:30 p.m.
In the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theatre Minneapolis, MN
The Minnesota AIDS Project & Black HIV Coalition presents a film screening of the entire first season of “The DL Chronicles,” a critically acclaimed TV series which follows the very different secret lives of four gay men. Catch the first season, and then the premiere of the first episode of the new season. Free rapid HIV testing available before and during the event.
$10 online, $15 at the door

Dykes Do Drag

Friday, Sept. 20 10:00 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21 7:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
Bryant Lake Bowl Theater Minneapolis, MN
Don’t miss this revolutionary performance art cabaret in a celebration of all manner of gender expression, packed with traditional drag, burlesque, live music, video and visual art, boi-lesque, modern dance and lip synching.
$14-18

Thank God I’m Fabulous

Friday, Sept. 20 9:00 p.m.
Skyway Theatre Minneapolis, MN
A glittery, glamorous, raunchy and all-around fabulous evening of song & dance hosted by Foxy Tann and Victoria DeVille. Features some of the best Midwestern performers, including some surprise acts.
$15-35

Dance

9×22 Dance/Lab

Wednesday, Sept. 25 8:00 p.m.
An utterly unique evening of exploring dance, on the 9’ by 22’ BLB stage. Features an open discussion with choreographer/curator Laurie Van Wieren.
$6-15

“Mohona: Estuaries of Desire” presented by Ananya Dance Theatre and The O’Shaughnessy Auditorium

Friday, Sept. 20 & Saturday, Sept. 21 8:00 to 9:30 p.m.
O’Shaughnessy Auditorium, St Paul, MN
Ananya is a contemporary Indian dance company that has created an unparalleled theater experience in “Mohona.” The artists utilize stories and images of women working and living with water, reflecting on water access and the violence that can erupt when this is restricted.
$17-27

Visual Art

Iraqi Art Exhibit & Reception

Through Sept. 30; reception Sept. 21
Janet Wallace Fine Arts Center
View paintings from the people of Najaf, Iraq, the sister city of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, along with books by local Iraqi refugees and “Letters for Peace” by local middle school children. On September 21st, celebrate International Day of Peace with a reception for artists and authors of the exhibit.
FREE

Anywhere I Wander

Thursday, Sept. 26 6:00 to 10:00 p.m.
Bloomington Center for the Arts Minneapolis, MN
A collection of small-scale paintings by the St. Paul artist Gregory Graham—in his no-rules exploration, nothing is off-limits. He aims to support the idea that humans live their lives in both the past and the present.
FREE

Film

Pompeii — from the British Museum

Wednesday, Sept. 25 7:30 p.m.
Regal Brooklyn Center Stadium 20 Minneapolis, MN
A sneak peak into the museum’s exhibit Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum. What was life really like in Pompeii at the time of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 A.D.?
$15

Music

Jon Wayne And The Pain: CD Release Show

Friday, Sept. 20 8:00 p.m.
Cabooze Minneapolis, MN
Interested in Midwestern reggae-dub-rock? Check out Jon, Teeto and Chuckie—Jon Wayne and the Pain—as they blend Reggae-Rock, Roots, Pop and Ska with electronic dub.
$10-12

Chelsea Wolfe

Sunday, Sept. 22 7:30 p.m.
The Cedar Cultural Center Minneapolis, MN
Catch up-and-coming L.A. singer-songwriter who blends “doom folk, wasteland noise, and noirish experimentation” (chelseawolf.net).
$36

Anathema & Alcest

Sunday, Sept. 22 8:00 p.m.
Mill City Nights Minneapolis, MN
This unforeseen duo—British doom-death group Anathema and French group Alcest—is intrepidly going where no artists have gone before in their new tour.
$20