The return of the All-MIACs

It’s a new athletic season with new faces, but Mac’s fall sports teams will be counting on the 15 returning Academic All-MIAC performers for strength and leadership. Women’s soccer leads the fall teams with four returning award winners, followed by women’s volleyball (three), men’s soccer (two), men’s cross country (two), women’s cross country (two), men’s golf (one) and women’s golf (one). Standards for the award vary by sport, but require student athletes to attain a minimum 3.5 GPA and meet specific athletic requirements as well. Macalester fared well in the MIAC last year with 28 students garnering recognition, the fifth highest total in the conference. In All-MIAC winners per capita of the student body, Macalester ranked second behind only Concordia University St. Paul.

What does it take to become an Academic All-MIAC?

ERIC BIGGERS: Men’s XC, Verona, Wis.: I think the main things that could help someone achieve Academic All-MIAC would be managing time well, taking classes and sports practices seriously, and getting enough sleep.

HANNAH REHAK: Volleyball, Chicago, IL: I think the main thing is recognizing work you actually have to do and work that is essentially unnecessary.

Why do you think Macalester has fared well recently with a number of Academic All-MIAC winners?

WILL MATSUDA: Men’s Soccer, Portland, Ore.: Athletics are a complement to an education at Macalester. As with pretty much everyone playing a sport here, I came to Macalester to be a student first and an athlete second. I think the coaches make it very clear that academics are always prioritized over athletics.

BAILEY REHNBERG: Volleyball, York, Pa.: We all put in the time with our sports, but we also put in the time with our books. I think we all understand that playing sports at Mac is an added bonus to the academic experience we get here!

What is your #1 individual goal for the new season?

DYLAN SAUL: Men’s XC, Minneapolis, Minn.: Run the 8k in less than 27:00.

GEORGIA CLOEPFIL: Women’s Soccer, Portland, Ore.: Never miss a shot. Never miss a party. Never miss a shot at a party.

LAURA AVENA: Volleyball, Cesis, Latvia: Playoffs.

BONNIE BENTSON: W. Soccer, Minneapolis, MN: Team Twitter, @macwomenssoccer!

What are you excited about in the new season?

LUCY ANDREWS: Women’s XC, Plymouth, Minn.: Between our young talent and our dedicated upperclass leadership, we have the unique chance to leave a legacy of year-round commitment, relentless optimism, and healthy balance that will set the team up for future success.

PAPA DIOP: Men’s Soccer, Thies, Senegal: I am most excited about participating in the reclaiming of the once strong reputation of the Macalester soccer team. Last year was rough, but I think a turnaround is very visible.

SUZANNE DUFAULT: Women’s Golf, Fosston, Minn.: I expect Macalester records to be broken and that we will be a competitive team to be seriously considered when the conference tournament rolls around in October.

Other Academic All-MIAC Athletes:
ERIK ALVIN, Men’s Golf; IZZI SPEER, Women’s Soccer; HANNAH WALKER, Women’s Soccer; BECKY KANE, Miladore, Wis.