Wrapsody in blue and orange – Highlights from this week

By Nate Wilson-Traisman and Daniel Kerwin

Women’s WaterpoloMacalester finished the Midwest Regional tournament with a 4-1 record, clinching the Midwest regions automatic berth to the national tournament.

Sofia Shaw ’09 and Sarah Ellerton ’10 were named co-MVPs of the region and Catherine Anderson ’12 and Bailey Gucinski ’12 were named to the All-Region team.

In the Scots’ semifinal win, 10-3 over Colorado College, Ellerton paced the Scots with three goals and four steals. Ellerton also led the Scots in goals in their 8-7 victory over Carthage with five. Anderson added seven steals and four goals in the win.

The national tournament will be hosted May 1-3 by California Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, Calif.

Women’s Golf

One week after winning the Carleton Invitational, Jordan Matheson ’09 continued her stellar play of late, finishing 5th out of 67 players at the St. Thomas Invitational at Pebble Creek Golf Course in Becker, Minn.

Matheson finished five strokes behind eventual winner Kali Griggs of Gustavus, furthering her push towards the national championships in May.

Ellen Bubak ’10 finished second for Macalester, and 52nd overall.

The Scots will take on Bethel in a dual meet tomorrow down the road at Highland National Golf Course.

Softball

The Scots have continued their MIAC struggles, dropping a pair of close games against Concordia (1-2, 4-6) and getting shutout in both games of a doubleheader (0-7, 0-8) at St. Mary’s.

Macalester’s record has dropped to 8-26 overall, and 3-17 in MIAC play. After winning three of five games, the Scots have dropped 3 in a row and sit at last place in the MIAC standings.

Amanda Cagan ’10 and Crystal Barriga ’10 have been leading the team’s offense. Cagan has a team leading nine doubles and a .334 average, and Barriga is batting a solid .337 with a team leading 23 RBI.

The next doubleheader is tomorrow at home versus Hamline.

Track and Field

Men’s – Macalester hosted its first outdoor track meet of the season on Wednesday, the Bolstorff Twilight Meet.

Standout performances were by Martin Mudry ’09, who finished runner-up in the 5000-meter run with a time of 15:39.16, and Kevin Williams ’09, who finished 3rd in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.04.

After the first track event of the meet, members of Macalester’s 1959 MIAC championship team were honored with a short ceremony (see picture above).

Women’s – Emily Matthews ’10 led the Scots at the St. Olaf Manitou Classic with a 2nd place finish in the 200-meter dash with a time of 26.67. Six other Scots had top 10 finishes on the day.

Tomorrow the Scots host the Macalester Invitational.