Women’s soccer names coach

By Patrick Murphy

On Wednesday morning, Macalester announced the hiring of new women’s head soccer coach Michele Cornish. A search of several months led the athletics department to hand the reigns of the women’s program to Cornish, who will take over from interim head coach Jemma Perkins. In her only season at the helm, Perkins guided the team to a MIAC Conference tournament berth in a season marred by injuries. Cornish boasts an impressive coaching resume, beginning her career as an assistant at Macalester under legendary head coach John Leaney in 1991. She moved on to serve as the head coach of the women’s program at Division I University of North Carolina Asheville from 1994 to 2010. In 2006, Cornish guided her Asheville squad to a Big South conference title and a berth in the national tournament, which marked the first time that an Asheville women’s athletics team had qualified for Nationals. Since 2010, Cornish had been the head women’s soccer coach at the prestigious Shattuck-St. Mary’s school in Faribault, Minnesota. “I enjoyed Michele as an assistant,” said Leaney, now the recruiting coordinator for Macalester soccer. “Now she has 17 years of experience, so she won’t be making any rookie mistakes. She will be very good for the Macalester soccer program.” Cornish also boasts an impressive track record as a player. In 1985, she played on a George Mason team that defeated powerhouse UNC Chapel Hill for the Division I National Championship. “I think Michelle will do an awesome job taking over as head coach,” said midfielder Emily Humphreys ’13. “She understands the Macalester culture having experience here before, but at the same time has a very successful coaching career under her belt. She has the potential to come in right away and help us succeed as well as provide stability for the future.” Humphreys was a member of the search committee that selected Cornish, and she is not alone in her excitement for the future of the Macalester women’s soccer team, which will take to the pitch next fall looking to avenge their conference tournament overtime loss to St. Benedict’s. refresh –>