Women’s soccer continues to dominate

By Mathew Starner

The faces for girls’ soccer this year were bound to change, but the numbers weren’t. And after Sunday’s 1-0 shutout over Grinnell College, the girls moved to 7-0-4 on the year and extended their 38 game winning streak.

Avoiding the bottom side of the scoreboard since the ’04 season hasn’t come easy for the girls, and it was made even more difficult after losing the likes of Cara Goff, Meghan Leahey, Louisa Bigelow, and Katie Pastorius, who all graduated from Mac in ’06, and who all were named All-Conference last season.

“This is the first year in many when we have not had a bunch of seniors starting,” Head Coach John Leaney said. “Three quarters of our squad are first and second year players.”

But the team has transitioned through the year in stride, especially with the help of aforementioned underclassmen such as Grace King ’09 and Maggie Yates ’10, who netted the Scots’ winning goal against Grinnell.

“A lot of people think that because we lost such a strong class last year, we would not be as successful this year,” captain Annie Borton ’07 said. “But we have just as much talent, all we need to do is put it together.”

One of the leading contributors has been King, who has scored on six occasions and assisted on two others. King also achieved her first career hat trick during the Sept. 15 win against St. Thomas.

“Grace King is having a great year,” Borton added. “She works hard every game and she’s been a lot more vocal on and off the field.”

Borton herself has picked up where she left off last year, after being the only returning player who was named All Conference from last year.

Forward Borton leads the team with eight goals and nine assists, followed by King and Yates, with six and three goals respectively.

In addition, players like Anne Kintop ’08 have anchored the girls on the field. “Anne Kintop has really been great,” Borton commented. “She’s been extremely dominant and consistent.”

Together the team has upheld a daunting winning streak, which Coach Leaney credits to “A determination that this streak was started by others, and they will not give it up easily.”

Borton, however, feels that the streak isn’t so much a factor in the girls’ motivations going into each of their games.

“It’s kind of strange to think about because this year’s team and last year’s team are so different,” Borton said. “Right now, we’re really focusing on this season and winning the rest of our games.”

With the talent and ability the team has gained with recent incoming classes, Coach Leaney sees no limit for the team.

“We can take this week to refocus and make a challenge for the conference title,” Leaney said. “If we win all our games the conference championship will be ours again.”