Women’s basketball starts conference schedule

Expectations are high for the Scots after their successful 2010-11 season and playoff berth.

Despite losing All-MIAC Majra Mucic ’11 to graduation, the team has started off the young season by winning two out of three non-conference games. In addition to finishing second in the University of Chicago Tip-Off Tournament, the team registered double-digit victories against Benedictine and Northwestern.

In their 68-56 season opening victory against Benedictine on November 18, the Scots had five players score eight or more points, led by senior Jessica Rene’s 15 points. Kyanna Jones ’13 filled up the stat sheet with eight points, seven rebounds and five assists.

With the win, the team advanced to the finals of the Tip-Off Tournament. Against second-ranked Chicago in the championship the following day, the Scots played the Maroons tightly in the first half, trailing by only six points as the halftime buzzer sounded. Unfortunately, Chicago pulled away in the second half, eventually winning the game 81-59.

The Scots were led by Senior Holly Schiedermayer’s 24 points (on 8-11 shooting) and eight rebounds. Schiedermayer was Macalester’s lone representative on the all-tournament team.

The Scots resumed their winning ways on November 22 against Northwestern, emerging with a 63-50 victory. Both Schiedermayer and Rene reached double-digits in points, recording 14 and 10 points respectively. Maggie Wood ’12 added nine points and nine rebounds.

The following week, Mac dropped its conference opener on November 30 against Concordia 63-51. Rene scored a season-best 20 points on 7-14 shooting, while Jones contributed 11 points of her own. Macalester couldn’t overcome an 18-64 (28.1%) shooting performance and a 40-21 rebounding disadvantage against a hot-shooting Cobblers squad.

The team plays against Bethel on Saturday December 3, the second of 22 straight MIAC games. Last year, the Scots finished 10-12 in the conference, good for sixth place and a playoff bid. The team is definitely hoping for more.