Women's lacrosse doubles in size and talent

By Caitlin Opperman

Women’s lacrosse has been anything but lax this season. Since officially joining the North Central Women’s Lacrosse League (NCWLL), the team has doubled in size and risen to the occasion against a competitive conference of teams. Last weekend the Scots defeated Hamline 9-5 before dropping two games to powerhouse Iowa State and Bethel. The team will play at Carleton on Sunday before returning home on Friday, Apr. 15 to face off against St. Thomas.

Captain Susanne Murphy ’12, who played on a boy’s team throughout high school, spent much of the off-season recruiting team members, along with co-captains Jordan Eckstein ’11 and Eliza Summerlin ’13.

“We have several girls who just picked up a stick for the first time this year or last year,” Murphy said. “We also have some people who played all through high school and really know what they’re doing, and others who just played in middle school and then only recreationally over the past few years.”

With such a wide range of experience, the team is working on sticking together as a cohesive unit.

“We really stress communication in practices, and on the field that really pays off,” Murphy said. “When we communicate across the field we can accomplish a lot more than any one player could.”

Head Coach Heather Brick and Assistant/Goalie Coach Jenny Menth are a large part of this improvement.

“Although they are both young, they have a lot of coaching experience,” Murphy said.

“We wouldn’t have come nearly as far without them.