Water Polo gets seventh at nationals

The men’s water polo team finished its season strong, with some head-turning games to distinguish them at nationals. Though they placed seventh, the team performed at a competitive level, challenging eventual champions Wesleyan College early in the tournament, narrowly beating RIT, and then crushing SUNY Geneseo in their final game. “Seventh place is not indicative of how good a team they are,” head coach Bob Pearson said.

Macalester’s Elad Rachevsky ’08 was named Most Valuable Player at the national tournament, and was the leading scorer for the Scots. Ramiro Nandez ’08, also contributed, scoring against RIT to help seal the victory. Macalester’s defense showed its mettle in the game against SUNY Geneseo, holding them to only two goals.

The bracket in which Macalester was placed was very strong this year. The well-fought game against Wesleyan and the win over RIT indicate that the Mac men were playing solid games against top teams, and for that they should be commended

Look for the water polo men in the pool next year, with nearly all of the starting line up looking to return. Still undecided is coach Pearson’s role for next year, but he will undoubtedly be involved on some level. “[Pearson’s] coaching has been wonderful this year,” Rachevsky ’08 noted.

Men’s Water Polo at Nationals

Game # – Opponent Outcome

1 – Trinity College Loss ( 2-5 )

2 – Wesleyan University Loss ( 6-8 )

3 – RIT Win (10-9)

4 – SUNY Geneseo Win (12-2)