Twin Cities briefs

By David Hertz

Betty McCollum town hall on health care held at MacalesterMore than 600 people showed up for a health care town hall held by U.S. Representative Betty McCollum at Weyerhauser Chapel last Monday, according to Minnesota Public Radio. About 350 people jammed into the Chapel. Loudspeakers were placed around the building to allow the 300 other attendees to listen from outside. The event, held shortly before most students moved in, was less contentious than many highly publicized town halls. Pro- and anti-health reform attendees shared their opinions.

Obama to speak at Target Center tomorrow

President Barack Obama will hold a rally for health care reform Saturday at 12:30 p.m. at the Target Center in Minneapolis, according to City Pages. Those who want to get into the free, public rally should arrive early. Access is first-come, first-serve, and the doors open at 9:30 a.m.

Garrison Keillor in hospital after stroke

Garrison Keillor, host of Minnesota Public Radio’s Prairie Home Companion, was hospitalized after a minor stroke, according to MinnPost. Keillor drove himself to United Hospital in St. Paul on Sunday morning after feeling ill. He was transferred to St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester. Keillor was active and expected to be released today, a hospital spokesperson told MinnPost on Wednesday.

University of Minnesota reports 60 possible cases of H1N1

University of Minnesota officials reported that they have seen 50 or 60 cases of H1N1-like symptoms in the past week, according to City Pages. Officials predict that many more cases have gone unreported because the flu has been mild. Students were advised to stay home if they suffer flu symptoms. Up to 30 percent of students could be infected within a month, the Minnesota Daily reported.

St. Thomas news Web site replaces newspaper

TommieMedia.com, a news Web site covering St. Thomas University with a combination of web, video and audio reporting, went online on Tuesday. The Aquin, St. Thomas’ student newspaper, went out of print in April, according to MinnPost, making it the first Minnesota college to eliminate its newspaper. TommieMedia.com will be updated daily by a staff of about 40 students from the former outlets.

5th Twin Cities man dies in Somalian civil war

Mohamoud Hassan, 23, became the fifth local man to die last week after leaving Minnesota to fight in Somalia’s civil war, according to City Pages. The former University of Minnesota engineering student was believed to be one of about 20 local men recruited by Al-Shabaab, which the United States lists as a terrorist organization. Somalian president Sheik Sharif Sheik Ahmed is planning to tour US cities with Somalian communities, including Minneapolis, this fall, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

State Fair set record for attendance

This year’s Minnesota State Fair set a new record for attendance, according to City Pages. 1,790,497 people came to the fair this year, beating the previous record of 1,762,976 set in 2001, according to the state fair website. Public relations staff for the fair also began a new tradition this year, tweeting the fair’s highlights for the 12-day duration.

Franken debates Tea Party activists on health care

A Youtube video of Al Franken discussing health care reform with conservative Tea Party activists had received almost 600,000 views as of press time. The video features 10 minutes of calm discourse between the Democratic senator and conservative activists. The video, taken by DFL blogger Dusty Trice, was also shown on cable network MSNBC.

Another video of Franken, in which he draws the 50 states in the US from memory, also received hundreds of thousands of views. He drew criticism for a 2007 campaign video in which he drew the continental United States, leaving out Hawaii and Alaska. He remembered them in the recent video, which was taken at the state fair.

Hamline law professor charged with tax evasion

Hamline University associate law professor Robin K. Magee has been charged with multiple counts of tax evasion, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The professor, whose law school bio lists tax law as a specialty, allegedly owes almost $5,000 dollars in unpaid taxes from 2004 to 2007. Magee will continue teaching at Hamline despite the charges, college officials told the Star Tribune.

Gophers inaugurate TCF Bank Field tomorrow

The Gophers, University of Minnesota’s football team, will play its first game at TCF Bank Field tomorrow against Air Force at 6 p.m., according to Minnesota Daily. It will be the first time the Gophers will play on campus since the closing of Memorial Stadium in 1981. Over 400 former players will be on hand to inaugurate the field.