TMW rates campus study hot-spots

Fourth floor of the library
Quietness: *****
Social: *
Overall rating: ***
Comment: This location is great for final papers but be prepared for zero distractions. Pack quiet snacks (i.e. banana) and silence your phone prior to entering. Take the elevator to avoid loud breathing from the trek to the summit of the Dewitt Wallace fortress.Smail Gallery
Quietness: ****
Social: **
Overall: ***
Comment: Math and science students favor this location for its proximity to labs and professors. Quiet during class time, Smail Gallery is a good place to collaborate or work alone.

Dunn Brothers Coffee Shop
Quietness: **
Social: ***
Overall: ***
Comment: Dunn Bros. is a local favorite when it comes to coffee. Though noisy and heavily coffee-scented, this location often serves as great early morning study spot. Most evenings Dunn Bros. features free local music groups, including Macalester student bands, which prevents focused studying but provides a nice distraction.

Leonard Center atrium
Quietness: ****
Social: **
Overall: **
Comment: This space is visually pleasing but disconnected from academics and can be crowded during sports practices or events. This is a peaceful place to kill an hour before practice, but don’t count on studying for finals here.

Atrium in CC
Quietness: **
Social: *****
Overall: ****
Comment: Looking for a place to people-watch, socialize and still get work done? Head to the Campus Center atrium, which provides a fun yet studious atmosphere. A perfect crossroads of the campus, the atrium provides food options as well as many academic resources.

Coffee News
Quietness: **
Social: ****
Overall: ***
Comment: This quirky, tasty café provides the perfect mixture of social interaction and studious environment. Coffee News provides free wireless and free coffee refills and the garlic fries are a well-known and popular study snack. Be aware that weekend mornings are crowded and noisier than weekdays.

Outdoors
Quietness: *
Social: ****
Overall: ***
Comment: During the warmer months, this location is a popular place to attempt studying. Always good for a pick-up Frisbee game, people-watching or reading a few pages, the Kagin Lawn is more for fun than getting work done.

Old Main fourth floor
Quietness: ****
Social: **
Overall: ****
Comment: This beautiful room, equipped with couches and chairs, creates a welcoming yet very studious environment fit for cozying up with a book on a snowy day.