This week’s Macalester sports highlights

By Caitlin Opperman

Men’s & Women’s Basketball The MIAC post-season basketball awards are out and several Scots picked up all-conference honors. On the women’s side, forward Holly Schiedermayer ’12 was named to the all-conference team in recognition of her breakout season. Schiedermayer ranked second in rebounding (7.9 per game), fourth in the MIAC in scoring average (15.2 ppg), and third in shooting percentage (.521) for the 2011-2012 season. Guard Jessica Rene ’12 was named honorable mention all-conference and guard Shannon Rene ’12 was named to the all-MIAC sportsmanship squad. On the men’s side, Pierce Peters ’13, who dominated the MIAC rankings in 2011-2012 season, was named to the all-conference team. Peters ranked second in scoring (18.1 ppg), second in free throw percentage (.873), and second in blocked shots (1.5 per game). Forward Sam Marshall ’13 picked up the all-conference honorable mention award, and forward Patrick Piepkorn ’12 was selected to the all-MIAC sportsmanship team. Softball Macalester softball split a doubleheader against the University of Wisconsin-Stout in last Sunday’s season opener. The young team came out strong in the first game at the Rochester Dome, winning 8-4. Cleo Nagy ’14, who posted a .355 batting average in the 2011 season, contributed home runs in the first and third innings, driving in pitcher Amanda Knopf ’12 both times. Knopf threw the first four innings before turning the reigns over to newcomer Brittany Ehmann ’15 for the save. UW-Stout came back with a bang in the second game, defeating the Scots 14-1. The team will take on the University of Minnesota-Morris in a 10:30 a.m. doubleheader next Tuesday. Baseball The Scots split a doubleheader in their season opener last Tuesday against the University of Wisconsin-Superior. The team took the Metrodome by storm in the first game, winning 5-1, but fell to UW-Superior, 7-5, in the second. The Scots rallied back in the seventh inning of game two but left the bases loaded. Starting pitcher Nick Meerson ’12 threw a solid five innings in game one, allowing zero runs and dealing six strike-outs. Veterans Robert Williams ’12, Mitch Glasser ’12, and Graham Brown ’12 led the Scots’ offense throughout the night. Glasser contributed an RBI double in the first game while Williams went 5-for-7 overall, adding six RBIs to the effort, and Brown went 3-for-5 on the night. The team will look to defeat UW-Superior in a 9:45 p.m. rematch Monday night at the Metrodome. Men’s & Women’s Indoor Track & Field Today and tomorrow are the second and third days of the MIAC Indoor Track and Field Championships, held in the Leonard Center fieldhouse. The Scots are expected to finish well in multiple events. At last weekend’s pre-MIAC meet, runners on both the men’s and women’s teams posted several personal records. Alexa Simpson ’13, who won the 200-meter dash, recorded one of four first place finishes on the women’s team. She was joined by Ana Armitage ’14 (400-meter dash), Audrey Mills ’12 (high jump), and Caitlin Toner ’15 (1000-meter run). The Macalester men made strong showings in numerous events resulting in a second place finish by Auburn Jimenez ’14 in the 3000-meter run, five third-place finishes, and four fourth-place finishes.