This week in Macalester sports

By Caitlin Opperman

Softball

Ending a streak of doubleheader splits, the Scots dropped two games to St. Thomas (6-1, 8-1) at home last Wednesday. Cleo Nagy ’14 and Miranda Stokes ’15 each scored one home run during the contest, but the team as a whole struggled at the plate against the St. Thomas pitching rotation, who held the Scots to nine hits on the day. Nagy, who has led the team’s offense the past two years, has nine home runs on the season, more than doubling her 2011 season total of four. The team will wrap up their conference schedule with a doubleheader at Concordia-Moorhead this Saturday. The Scots sit at 18-18 overall. With a win this weekend, the team could end its season at .500 or above for the first time since 1997.

Baseball The Scots escaped a five-game losing streak last Tuesday with a 9-3 win against St. Mary’s at home, but fell in the second game of the doubleheader, 5-1. C.J. Smith ’14 and Jimmy Belfont ’13 contributed a pair of home runs to the win. Robert Williams ’12 and Graham Brown ’12 also had solid performances at the plate throughout the night. On the defensive side, pitcher Nick Meerson ’12 handed out eight strikeouts during the first game, bringing his season total to 38, second best on the team behind Smith’s 40. The team is 8-8 in the MIAC with two doubleheaders left to play against Carleton and St. John’s, respectively. The Scots are still within reach of a MIAC playoff bid but will need to post a few wins in their upcoming away games to clinch the berth.

refresh –>