This Week in Mac History…

By Shannon Mills

Nov. 16, 1998 — Macalester made preparations for the demolition of the “Student Union” and the construction of a new Campus Center.

Administrative offices prepared to move out of the Student Union, which was located on the same site as the current Campus Center.
The Dean of Students Office, which used to be located on the second floor of the Student Union, was permanently relocated to its current space in Weyerhaueser. The Highlander Grille moved from the basement of the Student Union to Kagin during the construction, then back to the new Campus Center. The Community Service Office, Career Development Office, Internship Office and Multicultural Affairs all moved temporarily to the Lampert building.

Construction of the Campus Center and renovation of Kagin was completed by spring 2001.

Nov. 17, 1926 — Macalester’s football team beat St. Johns University 19-6

St. Johns University in Collegeville, Minn. went on to become the winningest Division III college football team of all time, with a 535-218-24 record over 96 seasons. In 1926, however, the Johnnies just couldn’t compete with the mighty Fighting Scots’ tough passing and running game.