Study abroad apps due today

The deadline is nearing for those seeking to study away next semester. Students must turn in their applications to the International Center by 4:30 this afternoon in order for Macalester to approve their study abroad plans.

The Study Abroad office is expecting to receive between 100 and 120 applications. The college puts a per-semester cap of 115 on the number of students studying abroad.

“I think it’ll be right around the number the provost wants to send,” Study Abroad Coordinator Katherine Yngve said.

The picture this semester is shaping up to be noticeably different from the situation a year ago, when 200 applicants applied for 139 available spots. The college eventually sent 177 abroad.

Last semester, after Provost Diane Michelfelder imposed the per-semester cap, over 120 students applied to study away this Fall, traditionally the less popular semester for studying overseas.

“It feels a lot less busy than it was this time last year,” Yngve said.

As students submit their applications for off-campus study, the faculty is expected to vote this Wednesday to change the way in which applications are reviewed. The review committee will likely include two faculty members this year. One faculty member has sat on the committee for the past several years.

MATTHEW STONE