Student wins economics contest

By Hae Ryun Kang

The Minnesota Economics Association recently hosted the Energy and Environmental Economics Conference last Friday in John B. Davis Hall to discuss issues of biofuel and other environmental policies. Associate Professor of Economics Sarah West ’91 and two University of Minnesota professors, Stephan Polasky and C. Ford Runge, spoke at the conference. West gave a presentation regarding policies designed to promote the reduction of gasoline consumption. Polasky and Runge presented papers arguing that ethanol is not an economically viable option, despite wide political support.

In addition to encouraging the advancement of economic knowledge and the collaboration within the economics profession, the MEA sponsors an annual paper contest for college students. Macalester students’ papers won the contest for the thirteenth time.

Brendan Pierpont ’07 took first place with his honors thesis, in which he elaborated on the determinants of foreign direct investment.

Pawren Dhir ’07 won third for a paper on the volatility of stock markets in developing markets.

Despite Macalester’s high marks in the paper contest, fewer than five Macalester students actually attended the Economic Conference.