Staff Editorial

By The Mac Weekly

The unexpected appearance of The United States Department of Agriculture on campus this week came as a shock not only to those directly involved in the incident, but to the Macalester community as well. The USDA’s inclination that the organic farm owner who has been providing the Veggie Co-Op with weekly eggs for years has been selling raw milk and distributing food without a proper license led to the seizure of his truck on the Macalester Campus. Although some of the allegations may not have been true, as the vendor is filing a criminal complaint for an illegal seizure, because it occurred on campus and because the Veggie Co-Op represents the school, it’s understandable that the Macalester administration asserted themselves into the situation. They did this by telling the Veggie Co-Op that they won’t support the funding of the eggs until the USDA’s investigation is over and all of his food products are declared safe. However, we at The Mac Weekly wonder if the tension between Macalester and the Co-Op this week could have subsided had the communication between the two been stronger. Often when an incident occurs on campus that challenges any type of social, political or civil justice, Macalester students tend to rush into a mode of extreme activism, (re: Mac students arrested for chaining themselves to Roseville Caterpillar plant last April) and this affair proved to be no different. We’re not saying that we disapprove of activism within the student body-in fact, we support it and the passion that it evokes within the student population. However we do feel that in this case, the loyal and long-lasting relationship that has existed between the vendor and the members of the Co-Op led to a hasty objection to Macalester’s request to temporarily discontinue all sales with him. After hearing from Mac admin on the situation, it seems that they are altogether supportive of the Co-Ops desire to proceed in egg sales from this particular vendor, and are merely taking the precautionary measures to secure the health and safety of their students. Reversely, it may be that Edwards and other associated with Campus Life may not completely sympathize or grasp the importance that this issue has taken with Co-Op residents.

No matter what miscommunication may exist, the seizure of the vendor’s truck has sparked a pivotal communal discussion not only on the role that safe produce plays on campus, but also on the stand points of the Co-Op community.

The opinions expressed above are those of The Mac Weekly, as determined by the staff. The perspectives are not representative of Macalester College.