St. Thomas student goes missing

By Marissa Warden

Daniel Zamlen, a freshman at University of St. Thomas, went missing Sunday at 3 a.m. A search team has been looking along the Mississippi River for him since Monday.A Hennepin County bloodhound picked up his scent on Monday and again on Tuesday along Mississippi River Boulevard and a little north of St. Clair Avenue. According to Jim Winterer, a spokesman for St. Thomas, this was the area that they assumed Zamlen was in when he disappeared, based on the information provided by his friends. Zamlen was talking to friends on his cellphone when he disappeared. The scent did not lead to the banks.

“We’re going to keep searching for Dan until we find him,” Winterer said. “We’re asking that people don’t go on the riverbanks because the dogs are still out their searching and it would interfere with the search.”

Winterer didn’t want to speculate as to what could have happened to Zamlen, but insisted that the police and search and rescue were doing all they could.

“Our students and volunteers are fanning the neighborhood searching for any sign,” he said.

According to news reports, Zamlen is 6 feet tall and weighs about 175 pounds. He was last seen wearing a blue jacket and blue jeans.

On Monday 550 volunteers, mostly St. Thomas students, canvassed the area putting up posters regarding Zamlen’s disappearance.

Winterer said that over the next few days more volunteers will be going door to door talking to the residents to try and find any information. Police in squad cars will follow the canvassers to answer any questions the residents may have.

“Everybody has that feeling that you’ve lost something and you wish you can find it,” Winterer said of how the University is coping with the situation.

A prayer service was held for Zamlen on Wednesday. The campus is getting together to show their support for Zamlen’s family and friends.

Anyone with information is urged to contact the university’s Public Safety Department at (651) 962-5555. If you would like to volunteer for the search efforts, call the search coordinating center at (651) 962-6129.