Spring athletes warmed up for seasons after southern trips

By Mac Weekly Staff

TRACK
By Jamie Macpherson
Although the track team didn’t go anywhere over spring break, two of its members did. March 9-10 seniors Kaela Schramm of St. Paul and Susan Brown of Kingston, Jamaica, traveled to Terre Haute, IN, where they competed in the 2007 NCAA Division III Indoor Championships.
Both had been record holders during the indoor season, Schramm ranked 6th in hurdles nationally, and Brown 4th in the triple jump and 6th in the high jump. At Nationals on Saturday March 10, Schramm went on to place 4th in the finals of the 55-meter hurdles. Brown unfortunately had to pull out of her events due to a hamstring injury. Both however were awarded All American due to their season performances.
“It was bittersweet,” Coach Martin Pepper said. “A great performance by Kaela, Susan’s (injury) was unfortunate, but both are still All- American. Both have put in hard work to get to that level.” And what’s next? Back to work, says Pepper. They’ll be starting fresh for the outdoors season.
SOFTBALL
By Matt Day
The Macalester softball team had a difficult spring break, going winless in nine games at the Sun West Softball Tournament in Orange, CA. The team spent its break competing against colleges from California, Connecticut, Nebraska, New York, Washington, and Wisconsin.

The Scots were led in the tournament by Katie Grudnowski ’08, who batted an even .400 for the tournament.
The Scots played two of the nation’s elite teams, losing to No. 13 Chapman (Calif.) and No. 19 Cortland State (N.Y.).
“This was more spring training for us,” Monica Keaney ’10 said. “While winning was a goal, it was more important for us to just be playing together outside.”

The tournament marked the first time the team had played outside since fall practice. All of the team’s spring practices had been held indoors at Cretin-Durham High School or the Rosemont Dome.
Macalester was the youngest team in the tournament, with 10 first-year players on its 16-player roster.

Macalester returns to action Saturday at Martin Luther.
The Scots’ home opener is March 28 vs. Augsburg at the Dunning Athletic Fields. The complex is located on Marshall Avenue about a mile northeast of the Macalester Campus.

TENNIS
By Daniel Kerwin
The men’s and women’s tennis teams had encouraging results against tough competition in Hilton Head, SC over spring break.
The men’s team won four of its five matches in a performance that Titus Levy ’10 said “proved our superiority.” The team’s only loss came against Spring Arbor (MI). The men’s team is now 5-4 on the season.
Another highlight on the men’s side was the shaving of top player Brad Goldstein’s ’08 beard on the first night.

The women’s team played some great, close matches against Division II opposition, managing to win against St. Michael’s (VT), one of the five teams they played.

“The exposure to such talented teams will aid us in the rest of our season” Megan Walsh ’09 said.

The teams stayed in condos and were able to bike and spend time on the beach outside of their busy tennis schedule.

BASEBALL
By Mathew Starner
The baseball team went 5-3 over spring break in Phoenix, AZ, scoring in double digits in five games.

Kyle Goerschler ’07 led the Scots’ offensive onslaught with 16 runs, batting .433. Jason Friedman boasted the team’s best average, going 12 for 24 for an even .500.

Highlighting the trip, the Scots took down the nationally fourth-ranked College of New Jersey. Ted Kimble ’07 became the first baseball player from Mac named MIAC player of the week since 2002. Kimble pitched a complete game, holding the Lions to two runs and eight hits.

While off the field, the team were able to see an MLB spring training game between the Giants and the A’s.

GOLF
By Daniel Kerwin
Ten members of the golf team spent the first five days of spring break spring break in Amelia Island, FL. The six women golfers and four men golfers shared a beachside rental house.

The co-ed team played a match against the men’s team of local college Edward Waters at Northhampton Golf Course, a course designed by Arnold Palmer. Edward Waters was a superior opponent, but the tough competition served as a good tuneup for the upcoming spring season.

The trip was a welcome change for the team, who has previously been practicing inddors and at a golf dome in White Bear Lake.
The younger team members also benefitted from a lesson with Manuel de la Torre, who has instructed Macalester’s coach Martha Nause for many years.

Both men and women open open the Fall season in a week at the Duhawk Invitational in Iowa.