Samatar to step down as dean of IGC

By Matea Wasend

Long-time Macalester professor Ahmed Samatar will be stepping down from his post as Dean of the Institute for Global Citizenship next year. Samatar was appointed for a five-year term as IGC dean, which will end in spring of 2011.President Brian Rosenberg and Provost Kathleen Murray will begin to formulate a search process for new candidates later this semester. This will involve outlining the characteristics they will look for in an ideal candidate, as well as assembling a search committee. The actual search will not start until next fall.

“Right now we are weighing the potential advantages of a national/international search with the economic challenges we currently face,” Murray said in an email.

The IGC was launched in spring of 2006. Samatar’s position replaced those of Dean of International Studies and Programming and Director of Community Service Office.

“I’m most grateful to Dean Samatar for taking on the responsibility of being the initial Dean of the IGC,” Rosenberg said in an email. “Being the first leader of a new, major initiative is always challenging work.”

Samatar, who is also the James Wallace Professor of International Studies, is the author of five books and over 30 articles, founding editor-in-chief of the first international journal of Somali studies, and a Fullbright Fellow.

“Dean Samatar played a critically important role in launching the Institute and bringing together the various programs that now reside within the Institute,” Murray said. “We will look forward to celebrating his contributions at some point next year.”

Samatar declined to comment about the end of his term.