Responsible Investing Referendum

By Laura Bartolomei-Hill

MCSG has approved a referendum that will appear on the ballot on Monday regarding social responsibility and student involvement in the Macalester College Endowment. After meeting with several student organizations across campus and tabling for two (sunny) days on Bateman, we have compiled a few definitions of what social responsible investing means to the Macalester student body. This definition will guide the efforts of our informal committee and our work with the Macalester Investment Office in creating and implementing socially responsible goals. We invite you on Monday to vote for the definition you most respond to. This is a step toward a more transparent, socially responsible endowment. The Referendum was introduced by Financial Affairs Commission Chair Laura Bartolomei-Hill, which she co-authored with Jack Wickham, David Isenberg, Willy Raedy, and Sarah Levy.Here’s the Referendum:

Choose one for each a, b, and c:

Socially Responsible Investing at Macalester…

A. (choose one)

1) Considers and prioritizes environmental sustainability, international human rights, multicultural social justice, local community interests and causes, and fair labor practices when deciding which corporations or entities to invest in, and when hiring managers to investment our portfolio.

2) Considers and prioritizes first and foremost environmental sustainability, but also includes international human rights, multicultural social justice, local community interests and causes, and fair labor practices when deciding which corporations or entities to invest in, and when hiring managers to investment our portfolio.

B. (choose one)

1) Significantly engages with the Macalester community and offers greater education and transparency about the breadth, depth, and overall health of the endowment.

2) Significantly engages with the Macalester community and offers greater education and transparency about the breadth, depth, and overall health of the endowment but recognizes the autonomy of the Investment Office to make final investment decisions.

C. (choose one)

1) Substantial action should be taken to engage the campus around contentious issues related to the endowment and the appropriation of it, examples of which may include the Isreal-Palestine conflict.

2) This section should not be included.

Don’t forget to vote!

Laura Bartolomei-Hill ’10 can be reached at [email protected].