Renovating 10k an exciting possibility for some students

By Noah Westreich

If students vote for it, 10K, the event space located in the Dupre Residence Hall named for the $10,000 it cost to renovate last, may undergo renovation once again. The idea is to transform 10K into a permanent live music venue complete with sound system, elevated stage, and a bar.”I went to a show earlier this year at The Cave at Carleton College,” Mickey Davis ’13 said. “I started wondering why Macalester didn’t have a space like that, where students can come hang out and watch live music.”

The Cave, a student-run music venue in the basement of Evans Hall at the Northfield college, has operated since 1927. It features live music on weekends and other regular events during the week, and is free and open to the public. Coffee, beer, and snacks are available for purchase.

“My favorite thing in the world is live music,” Davis said. Davis, a music major from Iowa, takes Public Relations and Marketing courses at St. Thomas and volunteers at 80/35, a summertime music festival in Des Moines. The idea to transform 10K is his brainchild and he calls it one of the most fulfilling things he has ever worked on.”The people that can make changes are right here on campus. I realized if I work hard enough and organize to effectively make a change, this will benefit students.”

The space would ideally become a staple of campus life on the weekends, exposing students to live music from bands on tour and Macalester student bands alike. In addition, there would be events like poetry slams and comedy shows. The plan for the space is to create an intimate music venue similar to 7th Street Entry, the smaller venue attached to First Avenue, the landmark nightclub and music venue in Downtown Minneapolis.

“It’s important to have a space where students can interact in an intimate, social environment that isn’t Kagin,” Camille Erickson ’14 said. “Not everyone likes dances.”

Many college campuses feature bars for the enjoyment of those who are of the legal drinking age. While the idea of serving alcohol in the basement of a freshman dormitory may seem ridiculous, it is not out of the question.

“I think it is certainly something we can talk about,” Director of Campus Life Keith Edwards said. “It would be a better idea to first think about the stage and sound equipment, and then see if it attracts an audience where having a bar would be appropriate.”

Space for the bar would be made by knocking down the wall of the Dupre kitchen. Although it is part of his vision for the new space, Davis emphasized that the bar is not the number one priority.

“People wonder why there isn’t more live music on campus outside of the music department,” Davis said. “Having this space would be a good way to create a more vibrant arts scene.”

Davis is working closely with administrators and student organizations that regularly use 10K for performances so as to maximize the potential of the renovation and not jeopardize its completion. According to him, student organizations have expressed support for having an updated, functional space.

While the plans are still in the works, Davis seemed optimistic that his vision would be realized within two years. He has two events planned before the end of this semester, which he hopes will be successful and make a good argument for potential sponsors to provide funding.