Reflections on a season of women’s lacrosse

By Lora Hlavsa

I may or may not have a torn ACL, but that’s okay, because I know that on Wednesday night, we on the Macalester Women’s Lacrosse team had fun and played with a lot heart against Saint Thomas in our last game of the spring season. It’s been a bit of a rocky season in terms of straight-up wins and losses; to be frank, we didn’t win a whole lot. But, to take a page out of the book of Dwight K. Schrute, lacrosse “is not a game, there are no points, no winners or losers.” Well, I guess that isn’t entirely true. There are winners. And the winners are every one of us, because every day we have the privilege of playing alongside one another out there on that field. I haven’t always been a lacrosse player. In fact, I joined the team this year on whim, with my only experience being a horrifying two-week unit during junior high gym class. At first I was nervous about just walking on to a team and playing a sport that I knew was terrible at, but I found that the team was extremely welcoming of me despite my lack of experience. They gave me a stick and a pair of goggles and sent me out on to the field like I had been playing my whole life. After a few weeks, I was hooked. Lacrosse doesn’t always make a lot of sense to me. Admittedly, I still don’t know all of the rules after a semester of playing. But there’s just something about being out there on the field with the team. I’ve had the pleasure of playing alongside some really great girls this past semester, and had the opportunity to make friends with people that I probably wouldn’t have otherwise. With these girls, I’ve made some great memories, like driving through the campus of UW-River Falls blasting “Call Me Maybe,” and spending an evening walking for a cause at Relay for Life. Being a member of the lacrosse team has been a grand old time this past semester, and I’m sad that the season’s over. But there’s always next season, and hey, if you’re reading this and you have any interest in trying your hand at lax, give us a holler – we’d be happy to have you. refresh –>