Provost finalists to visit campus in May

By Zach Selke

The six-month search for a new provost is nearing its end, as the three finalists for the position will make their way to campus during the next two weeks. Finalists will be meeting with selected students and faculty in an effort to familiarize them with life at Macalester. The competitive applicant pool included 68 applicants, which was narrowed down to 10 semi-finalists.Many of the candidates are in a delicate position as they already hold positions at other institutions.

“We don’t want to publicize information about the final candidates out of respect for the confidential nature of the search,” said Jan Serie, Biology professor and chair of the provost search committee. “However, we are doing due diligence on the candidates.”

Candidates for the position must have an academic and administrative background, Serie said.

Many applicants come from other liberal arts colleges.

“In general,” Serie said, “there are two kinds of applicants: candidates who are an Associate Dean at a comparable institution who are looking for a promotion and candidates who are a sitting Dean or Provost at an institution with fewer resources or in a less desirable location.”

The new provost will replace Diane Michelfelder, who will enter a teaching position in the Philosophy department next fall. She has served one three-year term as Provost and Dean of the Faculty. She announced her resignation from the position in November and the new provost is slated to begin his or her term in July.

The candidates will meet with student-leaders who represent a cross-section of the student population at Macalester.

“Students are our greatest asset in recruiting faculty members.” Serie said. “Many schools have excellent resources, but our students are the best way to sell Macalester.