Plaid, prints, & pewter: Your style guide for Spring 2008

By Kristin Riegel

As the weather gets warmer, the fashion trends are getting hotter. Whether you’re headed to Founder’s Day with friends or to the beach for spring break, trends of bright and bold color to eco-chic accessories offer something for everyone in every situation. Read on to learn how to put your best (fashion) foot forward.Ecology + Fashion = Eco-Fashion

Forget “fashion for fashion’s sake” and instead focus on one of the hottest trends to help cool the earth: Eco-Fashion. From Anya Hindmarch’s “I’m NOT a plastic bag” canvas tote (which has risen in popularity and price) to more economically-friendly bags that tote sayings such as “So fresh and so green,” wearing and accessorizing with products that combine fashion and earth-friendly materials is a must.

Bright and Bold Color

From the fashion week runways to the streets of big cities everywhere, big color is a big yes. Forget drab browns and blacks and replace them with bright colors that will make your outfits pop. Yellows are back and bolder than ever, but wear with caution as too much color can backfire, causing passerbys to turn away from the light. For those less ambitious, try incorporating small, yet colorful accessories, such as bangles, headbands and handbags into your outfits.

It’s a jungle out there

With loud leopard prints, khaki couture and daring jewelry, you’ll have the fierce look needed to take on the urban jungle. Ethnic and tribal influences mixed with feminine accents add flair to a look that is sophisticated safari. Afraid of the wild side? Unleash your inner animal through fun animal-print scarves and sandals.

Instant shine

From purses to shoes, belts to tunics, metallics are back for a second season. Gold is golden but silver and pewter combined with white and black accents are the latest and the greatest. Space and futuristic styles add a harder edge to last year’s subtler tones while metallic accessories add a refined touch to personal and professional outfits.

The morning after

Nothing’s sexier (or in some cases, more awkward), than the morning after a night of fashionable fun followed by fabulous sex. Girls, get ready to raid your boyfriend’s closet, on in some cases, their bedside, for those button-up shirts. Yes, that shirt that looked good on him last night will look even better on you in the morning. According to style.com, “borrowed-from-the-boyfriend tuxedo shirts” and inspired styles are the perfect look for a late breakfast at the café around the corner, or if dressed up, for a late lunch or shopping excursion with friends.

The Knight in White

Forget riding in on a white horse, stark white suits are what distinguish stylish and sophisticated men this season. From heavier fabrics in the spring to lighter linens in the summer, this look offers both class and comfort. Matching shoes and a belt are a must for the outfit to be complete.

Rain optional

Rain or no rain, trench coats add simple style to every man’s wardrobe. Despite being a standard in the fashion industry since its introduction by Burberry in 1901, the trench coat has been defined and redefined over the last century. This season, red is right, but only for the man confident enough to strut down the street. For the less daring, shorter lengths, subtler colors and lighter fabrics add a contemporary feel to a classic piece.

Be glad, wear plaid

Plaid is not just for the Trads anymore. Taking a cue from Macalester and its Scottish heritage, plaid is back for an encore. Bold colors such as fuchsia, turquoise, and orange are adding a new twist to this style which debuted last season. However, as the old adage goes, “there can be too much of a good thing,” refrain from layering plaid or wearing more than one piece in an ensemble.