Participate in your local precinct caucus

By Skyler Larrimore

Feel disillusioned by the political process? Feel like there’s never a candidate on the ballot for whom you’d actually vote? Interested in advocacy and bringing forward a pressing issue that is facing our society? At next Tuesday’s precinct caucuses, you can have a voice in who represents your political party and its official platform going into the 2010 elections.

Every election year, Minnesota residents gather together in neighborhoods across the state to attend these caucuses. Held by each major political party, precinct caucuses are the first step towards choosing which candidate will represent each party in statewide elections – like this year’s gubernatorial race. It’s also an opportunity for Minnesota’s voting residents to make their voices heard and help shape the party’s official platform by presenting resolutions and voting.

In order to vote or offer resolutions at your precinct caucus, you must reside in the precinct in which you want to caucus, be eligible to vote on Nov. 4, 2010 and be in general agreement with the party’s principles. If you’re not a U.S. citizen, you will not be able to vote or offer resolutions at the caucus, but you can observe and learn about participatory democracy and meet community members and friends to discuss issues that matter to you.

Get involved in the political process from the very beginning! You can make a difference by attending your precinct caucus. Precinct caucuses are next Tuesday, Feb 2, at 7:00p.m. To find your party’s caucus location go to: http://caucusfinder.sos.state.mn.us/

Visit twitter.com/macmpirg for a link to a nonpartisan pamphlet on surviving and thriving at Tuesday’s precinct caucuses!

Skyler Larrimore ’12 can be reached at [email protected]. The writer is the Co-Chair of MPIRG.