New position of security dispatcher to go into effect next fall

By Mac Weekly Staff

David Wheaton, Vice President for Administration and Treasurer, announced to the Legislative Board (LB) on Tuesday night that a new work-study position will be created next year for a security dispatcher. The dispatcher will work out of the Campus Center and will answer phone calls for campus security during off-hours—mainly nights and weekends.
According to Macalester College Student Government President Jess Hasken ’07, the student will be in charge of “triage” for security. For example, she said, if five students call security when they are locked out, and one student calls immediately after with a more pertinent security request, including an assault, robbery, or forced entry into a dorm, the student dispatcher would be able to prioritize the latter inquiry, making sure security personnel handle high-risk situations first.
Under the current security system, security personnel deal with phone calls in the order they are received, without a live dispatcher on weekends and evenings, times that Hasken identified as the most high-risk for students.
VÉRONIQUE BERGERON