Music Mixtape: Patrick Schmidt's Spring Semestmix

By Sophie Nikitas

Patrick Schmidt is a Political Science professor at Macalester who was kind enough to share a playlist of his favorites with us. To alleviate the stress that this semester has already brought, listen to this playlist to enter a moment that is not here or now. The Moody Blues “Isn’t Life Strange” I played this constantly in Bigelow Hall when I was at Macalester’s debate camp for high school students during the summer of 1987. Sugar “If I Can’t Change Your Mind” I already liked this song when I learned of the Mac connection with Bob Mould. Supertramp “From Now On” I love songs with anthemic aspirations, and prog rock has some of the best. The Grateful Dead “Going Down the Road Feeling Bad” For the best road trip song ever, get an epic 13-minute live recording of this Woody Guthrie song. Frank Turner “Photosynthesis” Credit a student, Tim Erkel ‘11, for introducing me to Frank Turner. I haven’t been the same since. Unknown Prophets “Summer Heat” A great track, both clever and catchy, from the Minneapolis-based hip hop artists. The Sex Pistols “Anarchy in the U.K.” When you really need a shot of punk, go old school. Howard Goodall “Psalm 23” Commonly recognized as the theme song from the BBC’s Vicar of Dibley, it’s a jewel of contemporary choral music. Eric Clapton “Autumn Leaves” As much as “Layla” deserves a spot on this list, Clapton’s recent take on this classic offers both an electric and an acoustic solo, both of which are transcendent. The Divine Comedy “A Lady of a Certain Age” Lyric-writing at Neil Hannon’s masterful best. Spring Awakening (Broadway Cast) “Totally Fucked” The best hopefully ironic song when you have a big paper due tomorrow but haven’t started it yet. The Rocky Horror Picture Show “I’m Going Home” Any track from Rocky Horror could make this list, but this just beats out “Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch Me”. Billy Bragg “Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards” My favorite song ever. But then, I’m into politics. refresh –>