Mulch garden relocated

By Tom Lisi

Formerly located west of the Fieldhouse, the Macalester Urban Land and Community Health (MULCH) garden was a celebrated feature of Macalester’s campus for eleven years. The construction of the new athletic facility forced the student organization to relocate its project garden to two different plots located between the language houses.

Sarah Claassen ’08, an organizer for MULCH, said she was disappointed to see the old site demolished.

The relocation will present new challenges for the group. The allotted space will give MULCH less room for growing vegetables and herbs. But the group has adapted by employing urban gardening techniques such as vertical planting and more trellises to use the space most effectively.

Claassen said that she hopes community members will get involved in the garden since the new location of the plots borders the Macalester Groveland neighborhood. While community members have helped MULCH tend the garden in its former location, the new site could establish stronger ties between Macalester students and community members.

Claassen admitted that seeing the eleven-year-old garden demolished was sad, adding that the new location might draw less student traffic, and as a result less student involvement. Nonetheless, she remained optimistic, acknowledging the new space could bring positive changes for MULCH.