MacDems host Nelson-Pallmeyer, third senate candidate this month

By Matt Day

MacDems hosted a star-studded February. All three Democratic-Farmer-Labor party senatorial candidates visited one of the group’s weekly meetings, with Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer stopping by Feb. 28. Former comedian, writer, and radio host Al Franken visited the Feb. 7 meeting, with trial lawyer Mike Ciresi coming on Valentine’s Day.

Nelson-Pallmeyer spoke with a crowd of about 25 in the fourth floor of Old Main.

“He addressed the environment primarily,” MacDems member Alex Rosselli ’10 said. “[Some] people voiced concern over a perception of him being a single-issue candidate.”

Nelson-Pallmeyer, a Justice and Peace Studies professor at St. Thomas, briefly ran for the House of Representatives in 2006 before endorsing eventual winner Keith Ellison.

Nelson-Pallmeyer won the DFL caucus attended by Macalester students in Kagin, earning 28 delegates. Franken won 15 and Ciresi 3.

Avery Lutra Bowron ’10 caucused for Nelson-Pallmeyer and is a delegate to the state DFL convention.

“I think the reason he’s so popular among Macalester students is that he’s able to see and make the connections between all the different issues,” Bowron said.

Bowron said Nelson-Pallmeyer’s green approach to improving the economy and creating jobs is a message that resonated with him.

“I was impressed,” Bowron said of the candidates visit. “It seemed quite positive. A lot of people hadn’t heard him speak.