Macalester finds full-time fitness guru in Murray

By Nathan Coppersmith

As students and faculty are adjusting to the new Leonard Center this fall, they are also adjusting new faces inside the building. One of the most visible belongs to Steve Murray, the new strength and conditioning coach. From 8 am until 6 pm, he can almost always be found in the weight room leading a workout, teaching, or sneaking in a workout of his own.

While playing football at the University of Minnesota, Murray realized the benefits of a proper strength and conditioning program. During his senior year he held an internship at Hamline University and was given insight into the professional side of coaching. After the U of M, he received his graduate degree from UW Eau Claire, where he gained experience working with the football team.

Murray moved back to Minneapolis and founded his own strength and conditioning business, Elite Fitness LLC, which provided training to college athletes and in-home fitness training. Once the position at the Leonard Center opened up, however, Murray decided Macalester was the right place for him.

“This job allows me to get back into the college atmosphere while working with athletes, students, and faculty,” Murray said. “This is what I want to do for the rest of my life. This is where I want to be.”

Unlike most Division III strength and conditioning jobs, Murray works full time at Macalester. Although the day-to-day tasks vary, Murray’s work covers many different aspects of the Leonard Center. He writes all of the fitness programs for teams, communicates with coaches about when athletes should lift and oversees a staff of twenty-three student workers. Murray also works with Health and Wellness committees to create healthier lifestyles for students, faculty, and staff, while simultaneously making sure he’s available in the workout room for Macalester community members when they lift.

It may sound like a lot of work to handle, but Murray doesn’t think much of it.

“I really enjoy what I do. I’m always interacting with people. It’s not work for me, I just get to come in, hang out, and do what I love,” Murray said.

Given the demands of the job, Murray is no longer running his own business. Yet, that does not seem to bother him. With his own business he was kept busy running the business aspects, but here he can focus solely on what he loves, helping and working with people. At the same time, running his own business gave him a look into the injuries and physical problems that come with daily life, knowledge he can always use in his work.

As for the use of the workout room, Steve would like it to increase.

“It’s used a lot, but I think we can get more people in. We’re working to find ways to get more faculty, staff, and students in. We want people to understand all the benefits of proper fitness, from the mental and cardio work, to getting rid of daily aches and pains. Weight loss is only a small benefit.we want exercise to become more like a daily routine,” Murray said.

Outside of Macalester, fitness is still a large part of Murray’s life. Aside from just spending time with his wife, he bikes to work, has already run a few marathons, and is now training for a half Iron Man competition.

Students, faculty, and staff should feel free to approach him in the weight room with any questions or ideas they have. He’s a friendly guy. –