Macalester athletics on Spring Break

By Patrick Murphy

Golf Tyler Hanck ’13 and Grace Caird ’13 Where are you guys headed for break? Jekyll Island, Georgia where “It’s all good!” (official island slogan) Could you describe the living situation? We are shaking things up this year. For the first time the men’s and the women’s team will be staying in separate houses a few blocks apart. Every year we seem to drift further away from the ocean and closer to the golf course. I can’t decide if our glass is half empty or half full. How many rounds will you play while you’re down there? Two practice rounds followed by a 54-hole tournament. What’s the best thing to do while you’re not playing? Walking along the beach with that special someone. Also, napping is currently in vogue. What is your most memorable SB moment from past years? It would have to be pushing Mark Thomson ’13 into a pool. Why is the golf SB better than other teams’ SB? I am not sure that it’s better per se, just separate but equal. Like our housing situation. Water Polo Catherine Flint’ 12 Where are you guys headed for break? The polo team will spend six days in Southern California and three days in Pittsburgh. Could you describe the living situation? We get rooms at a hotel near the pools where we play. How many games will you play while you’re down there? We have eight games in California and five in Pittsburgh. What’s the best thing to do while you’re not playing? This break while we are in Southern California we are going to watch them film the Price is Right and maybe win some sweet prizes. What is your most memorable SB moment from past years? Hanging out at the beach before games and eating lots of food. Why is the water polo SB better than other teams’ SB? We get really hot swim suit and swim cap tan lines from playing in outdoor pools every day in California. Tennis Chris Fowler ’12 and Evan Elderbrock ’12 Where are you guys headed for break? Hilton Head, South Carolina. Could you describe the living situation? Eight dudes, one house, in a gated community, surrounded by trees and old people. How many matches will you play while you’re down there? Four or five. What’s the best thing to do while you’re not playing? Loitering around Harris Teeters, scaring all the people who voted for Gingrich. Throw some gator watching in there, too. What is your most memorable SB moment from past years? First time in the south… it’s different than Canada. Why is the tennis SB better than other teams’ SB? Black Beard once ran ashore near Hilton Head Island. Baseball Mitch Glaser ’12 Where are you guys headed for break? Mesa, AY Zee. The home of one Tall “Paul” Schubring ’15. Could you describe the living situation? Four to a room. Two to a bed…with the occasional secret stuffed animal. How many games will you play while you’re down there? Ten games in ten 90+ degree days. What’s the best thing to do while you’re not playing? AYCEPC (All You Can Eat Pancakes at IHOP)…That is what David Melms ’13would say. All the freshmen will say getting to know Louie Mondale ’12…much much better. What is your most memorable SB moment from past years? Definitely the retired Gabriel Feingold’s ’12 homerun in his first career collegiate at-bat. Well that, or the time Coach Parr asked an umpire if he was “a higher power.” Why is the baseball SB better than other teams’ SB? Baseball players are the only team able to see Chase Kahn ’14 in a speedo. You don’t get that in South Carolina or Florida. Frisbee Carl Corcorcan ’12 Where are you guys headed for break? We’re headed to the High Tide tournament in Brunswick, Georgia. Could you describe the living situation? We’re renting a vacation home near the beach on St. Simon’s Island. We pack in more people than we can comfortably sleep, so it’s nice and cozy. How many games will you play while you’re down there? Many, many games. I don’t know how many exactly. There is a hat tournament on Monday, and we have pool and elimination play on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Every day we have several games, so it gets exhausting. What’s the best thing to do while you’re not playing? Relaxing on the beach and eating barbecue. What is your most memorable SB moment from past years? Last year after the games ended, we had a huge bonfire on the beach with a couple of other teams. That was an interesting night. Why is the Frisbee SB better than other teams’ SB? All sorts of skinny-dipping. Softball Amanda Knopf ’12 Where are you guys headed for break? Clermont, Florida, which is just outside of Orlando. Could you describe the living situation? This year we are living in houses, which is new. We have two 4-5-bedroom houses for players, and we each get a room with one roommate instead of cramming four in a hotel room. How many games will you play while you’re down there? We will play ten games at the National Training Center Complex. What’s the best thing to do while you’re not playing? SUN. Lay by the pool, beach, go to MLB spring training games, Universal Studios/Disney World! Also this year we are having a cooking competition – each house is responsible for a meal that we shop for and cook together, and then judge against the others’. What is your most memorable SB moment from past years? Last year we won our first six games. And we had a synchronized swimming contest in the pool. On the flight back it was our pitching coach Briana Hassett’s birthday, so we told the flight attendants that it was her 30th birthday, and they announced it over the plane PA system…it was only her 24th and she still hasn’t forgiven us. Why is the softball SB better than other teams’ SB? We have the most awesome group to hang out with. Not only is Clermont near Harry Potter World, but the dynamic of the team is second to none. Riding in the vans rocking out to Lady Gaga and performing synchronized swimming feats in the pool are things no other team can do as well as us! refresh –>