Mac volleyball team hires new coach for 2010

By Jamie Macpherson

The Macalester Athletics department recently announced the hiring of its new women’s volleyball head coach, Annie Glieber. Glieber inherits the program after former head coach, Stephanie Schleuder, announced her retirement following 12 years of coaching at Macalester. According to Glieber, she was drawn to Macalester College because of both the athletics and the strong academic traditions.

“I think there is a strong foundation in place,” she said, crediting all of Scheduler’s hard work. “I want to build on that and utilize my knowledge of the game to optimize and maintain the strengths and build on the weaknesses.”

Prior to applying to work at Macalester, Glieber coached at Carroll University in Waukesha, Wis. There she turned a last place team in the Midwestern Conference into the conference and conference tourney champions in 2007, in addition to helping them earn their first-ever berth in the NCAA playoffs. While at Carroll University, Glieber also acted as the Senior Women’s Advisor and the director of recreational sports.

“I really enjoy coaching because of the relationships you form with student-athletes and the opportunity to mentor, coach and teach young athletes throughout their college experience,” Glieber said.

One of Glieber’s strengths is that she brings a wide array of collegiate volleyball experiences both on and off the court. In addition to her experience rebuilding the Carroll University team at the Division III level, Glieber was an assistant coach at the Division II University of Central Missouri. She also started as a setter in college, at the small Division I institution, Austin Peay State (Tenn). She was team captain in both her junior and senior years and finished with 4,885 career assists.

“I have learned so much from my coaches in the past,” she said. “I hope that I can give some of those experiences to the Macalester volleyball student-athletes.”

Glieber says she will strive to create a positive atmosphere for the Scots, which she hopes will be conducive to good team chemistry. It is essential, she said, in a sport like volleyball, which relies so much on good communication.

“The student-athletes have to care about one another and care about the program,” she said. “I think it is essential to show them that you care as well. I have an open door policy and want my players to come and talk to me about anything.”

“Annie’s experiences as a coach and student-athlete are exemplary,” Macalester athletic director Kim Chandler said in a statement released by the college. She praised Gliber as being widely respected for her work ethic and her recruitment efforts.

“She will bring energy and experience to our program that will provide outstanding leadership in moving our program forward.”

Schleuder is also pleased by Glieber’s appointment.

“I am thrilled to have Annie coming to Mac to take over the volleyball program,” she said. “She is going to hit the ground running and I look forward to watching her in the years to come.