Mac Players to put on two evenings of comedic hijinks

By Steve Sedlak

This year’s Mac Players Spring Showcase is all laughs. A set of three one-act comedies – “The Wedding Story” by Julianne Homokay, “The Man Who Went Insane From Money” by Ann Wuehler and “The Actor’s Nightmare” by Christopher Durang – will make for an evening of garish humor. So head to the Dupre basement this Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. to catch the one-acts in 10K. Collected here are some words from the directors of the plays, Katherine Steir, Rachel Adler and Morgan Sonnenschein.Our show is a series of three one-acts, all of which are comedies. Mine is entitled, “The Wedding Story” by Julianne Homokay. This semester I agreed to be a co-head of Mac Players with a fellow freshman named Caitlin Opperman, since the girls who led it last semester are juniors and are currently abroad. I thought it might be a good opportunity to try my hand at directing, after being involved with tech theater and a bit of acting over the years. I chose this particular piece because it made me laugh, and also because it seemed like a good choice for a first time director, as it is pretty short. In fact, all of the one acts are just under 30 minutes, so the entire show should run for less than 90 minutes.

I am really excited to make my directing debut, and to show off our new stages and curtain (which I hung yesterday)! – Rachel Adler

I’m directing the second in our series of three one-act plays. My show is entitled “The Actor’s Nightmare.” It’s based on those nightmares people have where they are onstage performing but don’t know any lines or remember rehearsing. It satirizes several forms of theater from Shakespeare to Beckett and explores religion as a form of theatricality. It’s exciting because it gives students a chance to put on plays in an informal environment. Putting on the show is always an adventure and there is a lot of room for experimentation, both in the character portrayals as well as how sets and props are done on a minimal budget. – Katherine?Steir

The play I will be directing is called “The Man Who Went Insane From Money” by Ann Wuehler. At what appears to be a normal day at a bank, a woman is insulted by a teller that nobody had really taken seriously. This indignity offered by the man prompts a series of events culminating in the three characters – a manager, a customer, and the bank teller -contemplating the meaning of life and wondering just what in the world is going on. This dark comedy stars Micah Fowler, Logan Sand, and Joe Lalli. Come see your friends in this Mac Players production! – Morgan Sonnenschein