Mac Pics gallery event to show student photography

By Qingyang Liu

Mac Pics is holding its first off-campus show this weekend as the org looks to increase its visibility on-campus and build off the success of last year’s gallery showing. This year’s show will feature Macalester students’ photography art works at Nicademus Art and Framing, this coming week.

The opening will take place from 6 – 9 p.m. Sat., Dec. 11.

Lauryn Gutierrez ’11, co-president of Mac Pics, said she is really looking forward to this coming event.

“This time we will have music, food, and I hope many students will come,” Gutierrez said. “It will be a great experience.”

According to Gutierrez, the opening is going to be a semi-classical event, and attendants are expected to wear semi-formal clothing.

Most of the works exhibited will be submissions from Macalester students, but the show is open to the community, including local newspapers.

Mac Pics, founded four years ago, was not initially very active on campus. But last year Gutierrez restarted its activities, received funding from school, and got a dark room on the 4th floor of the Humanities building.

“Things are going great this year,” Gutierrez said.

Mac Pics ran its first students’ picture show last year and saw an attendance of about 150 people.

This time around Gutierrez hopes to double the number of attendance.

The show will last for approximately a week, and it is free to all. The gallery is only a couple blocks away from campus, so students can easily walk there.

However, Mac Pics does offer free drives if students have special requests.

“I hope students can use this opportunity to show their works,” said Gutierrez.

Since Macalester doesn’t offer photography classes, photography is not prevalent on campus; however, Mac Pics is offering a great chance for students to be more involved in this activity.

Students recently sent in their works via the drop box on upstairs Campus Center. The committee will evaluate the photos and figure out where to place them in the gallery.

“Hopefully the show can be a continuous event,” said Gutierrez.