Mac golf: true blue looking to go deep red

By Pat Murphy

With the arrival of seven freshman, Macalester golf has added depth to both its men’s and women’s teams. The men’s team welcomes the talent of Matt Caminiti (Mendham, N.J.), Pierce Peters (Glenwood, Minn.), Mark Thomson (Alameda, Calif.) and Tyler Hanck (Park Ridge, Ill.).

On the women’s side, Grace Caird (Shorewood, Wis.), Laura Hlavsa (New Ulm, Minn.) and Julia Huerta (Beaverton, Ore.) account for 3/5 of the team and will be relied on to have an impact throughout the season.

“The first years have been making huge strides in lowering their scores and playing smart golf,” Molly Faulkner ’12 said.

Dan Allen ’12 agreed, saying that the freshmen on the men’s side were fortunate to be learning from older players like Nick Santrach ’11 whom Allen described as a, “legend of the game.”

Santrach, along with Ryan Peters ’10, Daniel Kerwin ’10 and Ben Langworthy ’11 lead the men’s team.

On the women’s side, Ellen Bubak ’10, the team’s lone upperclassman, will be relied upon heavily.

Thus far, all signs point to a successful season as both teams started the season off in style with wins over St. Mary’s in the MacMary Dual at Mississippi National.

At the Wartburg Fall Invitational at Centennial Oaks, against some top competition, the women’s team placed 17th out of 22 teams. Bubak shot a career-best 83, finishing the tournament 23rd out of 102 players. Caird had an impressive start to her collegiate career, finishing 53rd with scores of 88 and 90.

In their most recent tournament, the Augsburg Invite at Majestic Oaks, the men’s squad took 11th out of 14 teams. Santrach led the way for the Scots with scores of 75 and 79 to finish 22nd in the field of 76. Kerwin came in 37th with scores of 78 and 80. Allen and Peters both finished the two-day event with combined 162’s, and Langworthy wasn’t far behind with a 163.

Allen and Langworthy both said that the goal for the men’s team was to have players averaging rounds of 75.

“We may be young, but we have a really good amount of talent on the team this year,” Allen said. “We have the ability to put up some of the best tournament finishes Mac has ever had.”

Faulkner pointed to a 5th place MIAC finish as the goal for the women’s team, which would be very impressive given their youth and small team size.

This weekend, the men’s team sends six players to challenge their conference rivals in the St. John’s Fall Invitational held at Greystone in Sauk Centre and Blackberry Ridge in Sartell.

The women play next in the Division III Midwest Classic at The Jewel in Lake City.