Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:

Safe Walk has failed me. I have called Safe Walk every Tuesday night at 10:00 after work for the past 7 weeks to absolutely no avail. For the first 5 weeks, no one showed up, no one called, nothing. I finally got fed up with it all and decided to take some direct action by calling the Assistant Director of Campus Programs. She seemed extremely concerned that no one was showing up to walk me home, so she told me that the issue would be resolved and that Safe Walk would be there for me next week.

Last week was the one night when I didn’t work and the one night that safe walk decided to call me. I got their messages asking me if I needed them and thought that they must have changed their tune. So last night I called them and once again. They didn’t show up.

Convinced that it was the only thing left to do, I walked myself, alone, to the Safe Walk office late at night. I found the staff members enjoying themselves in their SORC office, completely ignorant of my pleading phone call for a safe walk an hour and a half earlier. When you call Safe Walk, you never get to speak to a real person; you get an animated voice mail. You are instructed to leave a message and told they will get back to you as soon as they can. Unfortunately, it seems that no one ever checks the messages, rendering the system completely and utterly useless. Why can’t Safe Walk have a phone?

I understand that I may be the one and only person to ever call, but my calls need to be answered. Hopefully in the future Safe Walk will stop complaining about the lack of callers and actually start doing its job.

Hannah Wydeven ’09