Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:At the beginning of this semester we in the music department were given a speech that the hours from 4:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. were sacred, that no events were supposed to be scheduled during this time slot because people who are in athletics, music, and an array of other extracurriculars would not be able to attend them. So far this semester this ideology is not turning out to be true, and what’s more is that some of these programs would be very beneficial to those people who cannot attend them. I never thought my ability to create music would have such a detrimental effect on my life here at Mac.

I think of all the things in my life scheduled during that time slot just in the recent past or near future: opening convocation, the Mideast Summit, a department meeting for study abroad hopefuls, a meeting concerning a political science fellowship, etc.

To be fair, my particular extracurricular program was canceled begrudgingly for the convocation and Mideast summit, but not everyone’s activity was cancelled for those events. My point is this: Macalester is a wonderful place because of the fact that the school brings great speakers, meaningful events, and useful workshops to campus. Why is it then, that the people who plan these events insist on discriminating against those of us who are artistic, athletic, and otherwise talented?

Kyle Archer ’10